Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cleaning old pole

Post Thanks / Like

Question Cleaning old pole

I have an older daiwa pole that has been sitting out in the garage for years which I would like to put back in service. Its in good shape other than some roughness (oxidation) around the metal guides. Wondering what is best to clean them up -make smooth- again without damaging? They aren't too bad and no rust but I'm afraid if I don't smooth up a little it might be hard on the line. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You might try some 400 grit (very fine) and roll it into a small diameter that will fit into the eyes and gently work the rough spots out. Another method would be to use a Dremel Tool with a small light wire rotary brush to clean the rust off. Either will work, but the Dremel is faster if you have one.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thought is if you can't get the roughness out, to replace them with new guides. They sell an inexpensive set at walmart that looks reasonably decent.
    Dave in Statham, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Use toothpaste. Work it in good with your fingers or an old toothbrush and then rinse it off. Run a Q-tip around the surface of the guide to check for any burrs or rough places.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    Use toothpaste. Work it in good with your fingers or an old toothbrush and then rinse it off. Run a Q-tip around the surface of the guide to check for any burrs or rough places.
    what gruppy said,also some vinegar and water(50/50 mix) with a fine scotch brite pad works good to

Duckpoor Guest

Default Try one of these

Green Scotchbrite pads are great for cleaning and conditioning almost any surface.

And of all things :
    Check the office supply store for a couple Ink erasers..
    The ones I find are grey and have just the right amount of abrasion about them to polish anything and they will make a fine wire hook sharper than you will believe.
    Perfect for bails on reels and ferrels that have gotten rough.

R Green

Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas! I used this one and it worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy