Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Flounder Regs for 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Flounder Regs for 2013

VMRC approved the new 2013 rules and regs for recreational flounder fishing.

THE COMMISSION VOTED UNANIMOUSLY TO LOWER THE RECREATIONAL FLOUNDER SIZE LIMIT FOR THE FOURTH YEAR IN A ROW, FROM 16.5 INCHES TO 16 INCHES FOR 2013. THIS ALLOWS ANGLERS TO KEEP MORE OF THE FLOUNDER THEY CATCH. THE CREEL LIMIT OF FOUR FISH WILL REMAIN UNCHANGED, AND THERE WILL BE NO CLOSED SEASON. THE MOVE DROPS THE RECREATIONAL FLOUNDER SIZE LIMITS TO ITS LOWEST LEVEL IN MORE THAN A DECADE, SINCE 2001.

Maybe I can get a limit of keepers now. Hmmm, may have to go after fluonder in Apr/May.

ID

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Its about time. I can remember having to throw back a lot a 16" flounders and then taking home no fish.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad. I wish they had gone 15.5 and 4. I think there is plenty of meat on 15.5 some disagree.

Post Thanks / Like

That's because those that disagree haven't got a clue how to fillet one Charlie.
    You Just Can't Fix Stupid !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeyCharlie View Post
    I am so glad. I wish they had gone 15.5 and 4. I think there is plenty of meat on 15.5 some disagree.
    I liked that one too, Charlie. However, I am glad for 16". I think I can get some that size.

Dean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie 11 View Post
    That's because those that disagree haven't got a clue how to fillet one Charlie.
    Hey Crappie11,

I always fillet /skin both sides and end up with 4 fillets.

ID

Post Thanks / Like

Those small fish are fine if you eat the skin... I like one about 4 pounds to clean, not too big, filets are nice sized and taste better than the bigger models. I usually givem away and keep the triggers and sheeps.

If anyone wants to go one day this summer, let me know. I've got a 25' center console and usually fish alone because of my schedule. I do a lot of flounder, cobia and wreck fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

good knife and some skill= and no need to eat skin.

Post Thanks / Like

The days of going out and catching doormats nearly every trip are long gone. When you have several hundred boats a week fishing with live spot along the cbbt it decimates the population of big fish. Im glad to see it has been lowered though. I think it will take a lot of pressure off of the large fish since people feel like they may actually have a good chance to put some meat in the freezer with the smaller fish.
    2013 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Kitt, I used to go out when it was 14" and 10 fish. ( generall put out our limit of @ 16" on fish) Like you said Hundreds of boats (200+) at the cell alone! Recent yrs, I have noticed drop in numbers of boats, but I generally fish during the week now.