Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a certain depth where crappie likes to stay at?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is there a certain depth where crappie likes to stay at?

What depth do you guys usually fish when looking for crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Boy thats a loaded question. we found fish this past weekend in 7.5 feet of water, we caught fish anywhere fo a foot deep to dragging the weight on the bottom. A good fish finder will help with this some, learning how to use mine and then trust what it is telling me. Should be a good thread, good luck.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like everybody is looking for crappie in shallow water. I have always thought that crappie like to stay in depths that are 20 plus feet, I guess I am way wrong. That's is probably one reason why I never catch any crappie is because I may be too deep.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    It looks like everybody is looking for crappie in shallow water. I have always thought that crappie like to stay in depths that are 20 plus feet, I guess I am way wrong. That's is probably one reason why I never catch any crappie is because I may be too deep.
    Kercha ... check these out : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/archi...e-degrees.html .... see which one you think may help you decide what depth the fish "should be". Just remember one thing, though .... Crappie can't read so they may not follow either guide !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

They are funny feshes for sure, there was a 3.77 lb crappie caught Saturday taking the big fish prize. Wind was out of the North a 15 and it never even got close to 50 degrees, fish was caught on the top hook of a double minner rig with less than 4 feet of line out.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Myself, I've always loved to look for them in 12' of water throughout the majority of the year (excluding the spawn of course). And then will work 5' shallower or deeper depending on the time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

I just started fishing for them about 2 months ago and so far all fish caught were in less than 4' of water (80 + fish) here in central FL.........I tired deeper water but not a single fish..............

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best plan is to have a good FF, and look for the shad or bait fish. They'll always be close to those. The spawn is the exception tho. Other things on their mind then.

Big River Marine
    Bill Burnett
    870-635-0202

We sell XPRESS, EXCEL, and ALWELD Boats. Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude, Mud Buddy, and Tohatsu/Nissan Engines.
    Pro Staff, Southern Pro Tackle and Ozark Rods.
    Member, Tri-State Crappie Anglers
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    What depth do you guys usually fish when looking for crappie?
    Also keep in mind ... there's not really a "certain depth" that Crappie like, as much as there's a certain "temp" they prefer to be in ... and that's not always accessible ... so they go to the depth that conditions dictate. The "conditions" are : time of year, weather, water level changes, thermocline, water temp, oxygen content range, and water clarity (to name a few).
    Both species (Black Crappie & White Crappie) have a "preferred" temp range, water clarity, and cover type ... but, given the circumstances of things not being to their preference, they'll go to the "next best" situation. Their survival instincts will dictate that they do so.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Other than pre spawn spawn period 12 to 20 ft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast