Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: bait sprays, attractant

Post Thanks / Like

Default bait sprays, attractant

I see a lot of the bass pro's use an attractant spray on their lures.

Does anyone use any sprays on their jigs. I use crappie nibbles most of the time but never the Yum panfish sprays I've seen at Wal-mart. I wonder if they are worthwhile for crappie?

Tks
    Hoot
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Berkeley Crappie nibbles these days. Chartruse color. In the past I used "Dr Juice" attractant. Let me tell you this. Dr Juice and Crappie Nibbles work. I put some of the Dr Juice on my plastic worms and it helped me catch a LOT MORE FISH. Without the Dr Juice the fish didn't bite but with Dr Juice (Bass Attractor type) I caught many bass.

The Berkeley Crappie Nibbles win Crappie USA tournaments at Patoka Lake. The top winner in the spring of 1992 and 1993 was fishing with jigs and crappie nibbles. He competed against the locals and teams from 8 different states and won the spring tournament at Patoka Lake. In other words he outfished the guys using minnows two years in a row. That was enough to make me start using them after he gave me a half used jar when I met him prefishing the lake in April 2003. I have never been without a jar of crappie Nibbles since that day when I am crappie fishing or fishing for panfish. They just work that well. In fact I have three jars in my tackle box as backup to other two jars that are in a storage box in my boat where I can reach them instantly. I keep a jar in my life jackets pocket and usually have about 15 of them laying on my deck ready to use. I like to let them dry out in the sun for a few minutes so that the skins toughen up as that makes them stay on the hook longer. They work

Another thing that I read about is the Kodiac Paste Product.

Fish have a lot of their brain devoted to the sense of smell. If you look at a fish's brain or a drawing of the fish's brain the lobes devoted to the sense of smell are huge. That tells me something. It's know that sharks can smell a blood trail and follow it from miles away in the ocean. I feel that fish can also smell food and home in on it. I also belive that artifical smells such as Gasoline on your hands or even tobacco smoke residue on your fingers can be transferred to the baits and turn the fish off maybe. I know that gasoline is not good and turns the fish off. Some say that christmas trees put off a turpine chemical and make the fish shy away from them until the chemicals have all diffused out of the wood.

Dr Juice worked on the principle of Fear Pheremones. The theory goes like this. Fish (minnows) put off a chemical into the water when they get scared. I know that humans excrete adrenaline into the blood when they get scared. How knows but maybe the fish's adrenaline is somehow absorbed into the water from their skin and the predators can pick up this chemical. The theory goes that a neutral mood predator fish can be made to turn on and feed agressively when he smells the fear pheremones from the scared minows. Dr Juice has isolated that fear pheremone smell and put it in his fish attractant. It may be just a ploy to sell the stuff to fishermen but I belive it the theory and think that it helps me catch more bass on my plastic worms.

And I would swear on a bible that Crappie Nibbles work and help me catch more crappie. I can even tell when the crappie nibble is no longer on my hook. As soon as I don't get a bite in a few minutes I know that the nibble is gone. I put the nibble back on an I start getting bites and catching fish again. They work that well. But first you have to be where the fish are. It won't work if there are no fish around. Nothing will work when the fish are not there. So you must find the fish first to determine if these attractants will work or not.

I have been using the Crappie nibbles since the spring of 2003 and swear by them. They are a lot cheaper than buying minnows IMHO and I dont' have to get my hands wet when it's cold outside as I am not putting wet minnows on the hooks.

Disclaminer: There are many times though that a live minnow is the only thing that the fish want. And most of the time the minnow will outfish the crappie nibbles from what I have seen. I just hate to mess with minnows most of the time. Which is why I like the Crappie nibbles and jigs
    Regards,

Moose1am

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Save money

Use baby oil. Keeps plastics soft and good for your skin. Works fine.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I use nibbles too.

I too, use the Berkley Chartruse Crappie Nibbles. I just started try'n them this fall and they work great. I used to mostly use a jig tipped with a minnow, but now I use a jig tipped with a crappie nibble and I know I can't as many if not more fish now. There's been plenty of times I've had both minnows and nibbles in the water and the fish wouldn't touch the minnow and were eat'n the nibble like crazy! As far as other attractant sprays and such, I've only used a dip type attractant while bass fishing.
    Last edited by CohuttaCrappie; 12-04-2004 at 06:52 PM.
    "To catch fish, you gotta be on the fish!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your thoughts Moose.

I've been using the Berkeley nibbles as well. My wife wanted to see if fish like the nibbles and put only a couple of nibble on a hook and dropped it over board. She got bites! So I'm sold on the nibbles.

Stopped by Wally World on the way back from the lake and picked up some of the Yum spray. I'll give it a shot. Maybe combine nibbles and Yum spray and have them jumping in the boat. lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the key is what Moose said about being where the fish are.

All the tasty and stinking baits in world are worthless if your fishing where their not.

I'm improving about recognizing where they are but am just getting started on crappie and their a different breed I'm finding.

Just wanted to add that I've been fortunate to find this website. Some good folks and great information. Really helps this pilgram out.

Thanks!
    Hoot

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried crappie nibbles and crappie bites many times. I've yet to catch a fish with them. Maybe they are just good in lakes. I've got a bass fishing friend that sprays all his baits with WD-40 while fishing with them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I've tried crappie nibbles and crappie bites many times. I've yet to catch a fish with them. Maybe they are just good in lakes. I've got a bass fishing friend that sprays all his baits with WD-40 while fishing with them.
    Left that part out. Baby oil and WD40. Works fine. Cheeeeep tooooooo.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie nibbles

when you put them on the hook do you leave any of the hook exposed or do you put them right on the end of the hook
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I try not to cover the hook point and barb. That would prevent the hook set which is another key componet to catching the crappie. I fish with the Tube Jigs. BPS Squirmin Squirts types which are 1.5" long and look like the Southern Pro hollow tube jigs with the octipuss type legs. Plastic legs that wiggle a lot even when you hold the jig pole real still. Those legs undulate with the slightist movement of the line or jig. I push the Chartruse crappie nibble up onto the hook past the bend and almost up into the tube's hollow cavity. It looks like the tube jig is laying an egg. LOL Some guys put the Kodiak Paste or squished up crappie nibbles up inside the tube so that is stays in there longer. I like to have the color of the nibble show a little bit so. If the nibble is left out in the sun for a few hours it hardens up. Then it can be pushed all the way up the hook and actually used to help hold the jig body on the lead head jig. Sometimes I might add two crappie nibbles on the hook to make it last longer. I have to put a new nibble on about ever five minutes or even sooner if I get some bites. Bites will be a slight tick or thump. I lift the rod tip from time to time to actually set the hook on bites that I don't even fell. I try to keep the hooks very sharp. This winter I am going to sharpen all my jig hooks up using my automatic diamond coated hook sharpening machine. Most of my jigs are new but even new jigs can be made better by running them though the diamond coated hook sharpening machine once or twice. If you have a microscope you can look at the ends of the hook and see a noticeable difference when they are sharpened with a diamond coated hook sharpening machine. You can tell the difference if you run the hook's point across the surface of your thumb's fingernail. A very sharp hook will dig into the nail and a dull hook won't. Just be careful with the extra sharp hook. To set the hook when fishing all you have to do is gently lift the rod tip about 10" or so. It's important to not jerk too fast but to lift is as soon as the tap is felt. A crappie can inhale the jig and spit it back out in less than a second. So as soon as you feel something lift the rod immediately but don't jerk the hook out of the mouth and tear the crappies lip. The crappie have soft mouths and the jig can easily rip out of the mouth unless it's caught in a hard part of the mouth. Be quick on the draw but draw smoothly. Be quick to set the hook but do it gently if that makes sense.

I have also found that Jig color can make a difference. I like the all white jigs with sparkles embedded in the plastic. The sparkles colors are Blue, Silver and Gold. The sparkles will reflect the sunlight off them and that looks like the sunlight reflecting off a minnows scales. When a crappie eats a minnow lots of those small minnow scales are expelled out into the water and they float ever so slowly down into the depths. But as they sink slowly they reflect the sunlight off them. I noticed this happening when my captive aquarium crappie eat a minnow in my aquarium. Those scales can be seen floating for a long time in the water. Even with the sunlight coming into the room from a north facing window. So I am a firm believer in the sparkles. Berkley even makes some crappie nibbles that have the sparkles already in the paste. I wish I could get some of those locally but the local stores have not begun to carry them yet.

I have caught small bluegills with just a $10 gold hook and a chartruse crappie nibble on the hook. It works almost as good as using hotdogs or baloney.

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    when you put them on the hook do you leave any of the hook exposed or do you put them right on the end of the hook
    crap-king
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast