Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motor prop: 2 blade vs. 3 blade ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Trolling motor prop: 2 blade vs. 3 blade ?

I got a 30 lbs trust Motor Guide trolling motor (transom mount) on my 80lbs 10' aluminum jon boat. It has a two blade prop and dose okay.It takes me about 15-20 minutes to go around 1/2 mile or so. A guy told me if I replace the prop with a three blade prop I will get a little more speed , maybe 2 mph more. Any truth to this ? Any advice, comments, or suggestions ? -Thanks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried one of the Kipawa props a while back and really couldn't tell that much difference if any. But then my boat is pretty heavy. I've also heard others say it did help, so I guess it depends on the application.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it makes a whole lot of difference especially 2 mph. The only thing I could imagine provididng 2 mph is adding about 40 lbs of thrust. The three bladed props from motorguide are called machete which helps to cut through the aquatic vegetation better than a 2 blade.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree that it wouuldn't make that much difference, I had a 20ft Triton and the trolling motor prop was a double blade, and it moved that boat at a decent speed. If you want more speed get a bigger tolling motor. I would think that a 3 blade prop would be heavier than the 2 blade and would cause the motor to work harder and slower. But what do I now I just use the equipment and fish.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3 blade on my minn kota and love it, but can't say that it's better than a 2 blade. Lbs. thrust would probably be much more important than the number of blades.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tkpaul
    I doubt it makes a whole lot of difference especially 2 mph. The only thing I could imagine provididng 2 mph is adding about 40 lbs of thrust. The three bladed props from motorguide are called machete which helps to cut through the aquatic vegetation better than a 2 blade.

I used to have the Machete until it broke. I replaced it with their new Hydrilla Hacker, and it works a lot better than the machete. From what I have seen so far, nothing stops it.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally, the two-blade will be more powerful, the three-blade more weedless.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran my boat for almost a year with only a trolling motor - fishing small
    lakes or close to boat ramps - 12V 52 lb. Motorguide. I tried the two and
    three blade props, seemed like the two went a little faster, but the three
    ran a little smoother. Not a whole lot of difference either way.
    Best I remember, it would only go about 2 and a half mph either way.
    It would be hard for me to imagine anything making 2 mph difference -
    except maybe breaking off the blades :D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association