Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Commercial Fishibg Tournament on Ky Lake...yep

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Commercial Fishing Tournament on Ky Lake...yep

Last edited by Cane Pole; 02-24-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not only that, Tom .... but, this as well : Western Kentucky Company Takes on Asian Carp | WSILTV | Local News

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Yes!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read that in the paper this morning. Very interesting concept. Will really be great if things going with people who can develop ways of using them for profit. Would seem the dog food angle would be good but with the Asian population in this country hopefully they can develop a market here and overseas. Hopefully it will get so huge they fish them into non existing.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Just read that in the paper this morning. Very interesting concept. Will really be great if things going with people who can develop ways of using them for profit. Would seem the dog food angle would be good but with the Asian population in this country hopefully they can develop a market here and overseas. Hopefully it will get so huge they fish them into non existing.
    Already a huge overseas market. Evidently the problem is efficiently harvesting and exporting (at least according to a report I'd seen earlier).

Before they're totally made extinct, someone will cry for them, and there will be a new group started to "Save the Asian Carp", and will cost taxpayers millions.

Post Thanks / Like

The Asian carp supposedly taste pretty good. Much better than the common carp. I've never eaten one, but that's what I've heard.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

You cannot out fish the Asian carp, they lay millions of eggs every year and have more than one spawn, this from fish biologists and DNR people. Two-- they had a Asian carp tastin fair at the taste of Chicago last year, only about 2-5% people said they liked the fish which was prepared by some big time fish restaurant chefs, yes fish patties were loaded with Herbs & spices. Three-- Has to be served as fish patties, these carp are loaded with hundreds of tiny bones so there is no way to fillet them. they grind up meat and bones to a fine mulch, same as Asian people do overseas. I know several fishing friends that have caught these fish and tried to cook them,smoked, fried, grilled, and in broiler-all say the same taste like Sheet-- all said after one taste by them & friends they threw the the carp away. Some even said their dog refused to eat the fish.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Last week I went out on the Kaskaskia river. My new HB 998c was showing thousands of fish on it. Thenr they were jumping every where around me. I fear they will ruin my crappie hole. A friend of mines wife had her ear drum broke by one last summer. These fish are no laughing matter. I wish the state would let us shoot a shotgun out of the boat. Another sport would be born.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    You cannot out fish the Asian carp, they lay millions of eggs every year and have more than one spawn, this from fish biologists and DNR people. Two-- they had a Asian carp tastin fair at the taste of Chicago last year, only about 2-5% people said they liked the fish which was prepared by some big time fish restaurant chefs, yes fish patties were loaded with Herbs & spices. Three-- Has to be served as fish patties, these carp are loaded with hundreds of tiny bones so there is no way to fillet them. they grind up meat and bones to a fine mulch, same as Asian people do overseas. I know several fishing friends that have caught these fish and tried to cook them,smoked, fried, grilled, and in broiler-all say the same taste like Sheet-- all said after one taste by them & friends they threw the the carp away. Some even said their dog refused to eat the fish.
    The bones are actually pretty big, but they have Y bones like pike and muskie. There are ways to clean and fillet them around the bones.

According to the earlier parts of the video, you have to gut them pretty much immediately and cut out the red meat when cleaning them. Maybe that's why your friends said they didn't taste good?
    Don't worry, catch crappie.