Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Has anyone ever tried night fishing in Feb?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone ever tried night fishing in Feb?

A my buddy of mine wants to go night fishing. Seeing if anyone has ever done it in Feb?
    He thought since the fish are starting to move back in the creeks.They may be some
    staging around the bridges.
    So what does everyone think?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Anytime you can go fishing is a very good time. You are in the south where there is soft water year round. Sounds like a plan to me. Go for bridges and points near a cove. Welcome from Alabama.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx shipahoy. Never crappie fished Neely. I have always bass fished there. I have won several club tournaments and placed good in BFL an ABA there also.

I kind of stop bass fishing and now chasing some slabs LOL.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have nightstalked all winter before and yes you can catch crappie this time of the year, Feb, March is the best night fishing you will find. If you know of a creek run that the fish are using set up in the 25 to 30' depths and drop your bait down 15' or more. The crappie are staging right now in the 20 to 35' depths getting ready to make the run shallow.
    No bridge needed, set up in the mouth of the creek.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

We night fish in Oklahoma all winter long on heated docks around Grand Lake. Actually do better fishing the slips if you can bear the cold standing out there all night. Makes a feller kinda sore after a few hours. Don't know what it would be like down there where you are or fishing some other kind of structure other than brushed up docks but from what I have seen definitely worth the time. Sure helps pass the the long winter evenings too.

Post Thanks / Like

You'd be surprised how many big Crappie you can find UP the creeks in the shallows after a sunny day, at night. Especially prespawn. I've had trips that produced several 2lb fish that were going into spawn mode this early in the year. The smaller fish were a good 4-8 weeks later.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone ever tried night fishing in Feb?

We have been catching most of our fish after dark for the last couple of months.
    Save A Minnow, Use A Jig

Post Thanks / Like

do you start night fishing late in the day and then into the night or do you start out in the dark ?

Post Thanks / Like

i start in evening from bank in a creek lighted floats been catching them since 1st of jan.. good luck

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elfros View Post
    do you start night fishing late in the day and then into the night or do you start out in the dark ?
    I like to get on the water with an hour left to daylight so I can get everything set up and all the rods baited and in the water. Must of the time you will catch a few fish before it gets dark. We use to have a lot of nightstalkers on the SC board and we would post on the board that we planned to fish and if anyone wanted to meet at the lake be there at this time (). Sometimes we would have a couple boats and a lot of time we would have 5 or more boats. We would make a time to stop fishing (most of the time it would be 11:00) as the fishing would have slowed down by 11:00 on must nights. This is a great way to have a safe nightstalk because someone would know where you were fishing and if you didn't come in we would know where to come look for any boat that may be having trouble. A lot of time we would all be fishing in the same area and could talk to each other if needed. Nightstalking is a different game than daytime fishing and you need to make precautions to be as safe as you can. It is a great way to catch fish and you don't have to deal with the boat traffic like you do in the daytime.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4