Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What makes the lake water muddy and stain?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What makes the lake water muddy and stain?

Went fishing the other day and the water was brown, muddy and nasty. I have been to this lake a few times in the past and the water was normally clear with a greenish tint to it and the fishing is a lot better like this too. What makes the water muddy and how long does it take for it to clear up?

Post Thanks / Like

Wave action during and after a storm will normally muddy a lake up. It depends on how long the storm lasts but usually clears up in a few days as long as the wind is down. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, looking to go back again this weekend and try my luck again.

Post Thanks / Like

Topsoil and surface debris wash in water when it rains. It washes in the feeder streams to lake or river and the lower body of water will be the muddier.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be that the lake turned over.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by the lake turned over?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifty4 View Post
    It could be that the lake turned over.

Post Thanks / Like

When the water temp changes the top water goes down and the bottom water comes up. Cub48

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by cub48 View Post
    When the water temp changes the top water goes down and the bottom water comes up. Cub48

Post Thanks / Like

Where I fish in AL, lakes and rivers are muddied and stained by rains, usually heay rains, that will settle out and clear up in a few days. Right now, after 7.5 inches of rain locally water looks like carmel candy @ 20 MPH! Tomorrow looks like 4-5 inches more coming. Got my boat prepped by Prattville, AL BPS yesterday(GREAT SERVICE-due time of year got 1 day turn-around(in Sat/out Monday). As storms slow down water will clear. A great water clarity on the Al river will occur in the summer with a white bait being visible about 3' down. Choose lures/bait as conditions tell you. I am a minnow fisherman and water clarity isn't that critical on my home waters.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cub48 View Post
    Usually this is a Fall phenomenon ... when cooler/heavier water in the upper layer, drops down into the warmer/lighter water below, causing a mixing of water temps & a disturbance of the bottom mud/silt, resulting in a muddying/dirtying of the water.

This time of year, it's likely wind/wave action against the mud banks &/or muddy runoff water coming in from creeks, gullies, or mud banks after rains or snow melt.

... cp