Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 8' jig rods to check out???

Post Thanks / Like

Default 8' jig rods to check out???

Hey folks,

I'm new here and have been enjoying the website. My true passion is walleye fishing, but I'm not going to turn down a hot slab bite though.

Anyways....I currently have a sam heaton 10' and an ozark 9' jig rod. I like them both, but do enjoy the 9 more than the 10...that's why i'm wanting to try an 8'. You get a big fish on the 10' and it seems you are fighting the rod side to side more than the fish.

I'm wanting something just a little shorter and am wanting opinions on some manufacturers to check out for an 8'er. I guess I'm assuming their are more companies out there than bnm and ozark.

We mainly fish brushpiles in 5-20fow with 1/16-1/8oz jigs and do get into a number of 15"-17" slabbers, so do need something with some horsepower.

Any "low profile" rod companies make a rod I should check out???

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Pro Angler makes a really good jiggin pole with great customer service. I use my 8' rods more than anything else, plenty of backbone and sensitivity. Crappie Rods, Crappie Jigs, Catfish Rod, Catfish Rods, Fishing Rods
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I also like the 8' more than the others for vertical jigging, and I have 2 Bucks Graphite Jig Poles (BGJP) from BnM. I use mine with braid and a flouro leader and the sensitivity is fantastic. Every little bump is transmitted. I use a Diawa Sweepfire reel, 2000 series, and find the balance great. My hand in front of the reel stem and my pinky finger on the reel seat transmits every bump to my hand and the rod is light so the fatigue factor is very low, unlike heavier, longer rods I have. They will handle a big fish also. I don't swing any crappie into the boat over about a pound cuz I've had too many tear loose, but the 10+lb cats I catch and land on these prove they will take a beating. Best for the money in my book.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar Proud View Post
    Pro Angler makes a really good jiggin pole with great customer service. I use my 8' rods more than anything else, plenty of backbone and sensitivity. Crappie Rods, Crappie Jigs, Catfish Rod, Catfish Rods, Fishing Rods
    I have 7 of the 8'footers that i long line troll with in the spring and 6 of the 10 footers for deep spider rigging. There are many good rods out there but these are the best i have found for the way i fish. You will be pleased
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the incoming info!!

I don't horse any of the big fish into the boat but it seems when I hook one with 10' rod that sucker is all over the place pulling the fish up.

I checked out the proangler rods...I like the insert free guides. I've had to put a tip on my ozark as the insert come out of it.

Are most people using baitcast reels on their jig poles??? I guess I've always used size 30 pflueger spinning reels...never thought of a baitcaster.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 8' PA's and they are GREAT! Work well with spinning reels too.

Post Thanks / Like

Like skeetbum I enjoy my 8' BnM Buck's jig pole. Really sensitive, nice backbone, and easy to hold all day. I think Gander Mountain has them for $39.99 with free freight.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 8/9/10 ft Walley Marshal sig series from bass pro. Also use 11ft Sam Heaton and BGJP. 8and 9 are my favorite specially for deep jiging both are light and have plenty of back bone. Pretty sure the ones they sell as Crappie Max are the same with different name.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 2 8' B&M jig poles, academy has 'em for just under $40 in the Knoxville TN store
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.