Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Drift socks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift socks

Drift socks....just bought two 30" drifts socks off ebay. Never used them nor have I done much drift fishing before. How effective is this? I will be fishing from a 18 ft xpress bass type boat. I figured to use one in light wind and both during the stronger winds. How much rope should I use for each? I will tie on swivels for each sock if needed. Thanks for your tips

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16' Lowe and I use one drift sock secured mid boat. As long as the sock stays out of the way of your fishing lines you can use it without any rope. Extra rope can be added to get the sock farther away from the boat if needed but if you get the sock too far from the boat the boat will not drift straight. Too far out and the wind seems to move the front of the boat more than the back or vice versa. Best to just try it on your boat and see what works and what does not.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 10 ft of rope .My boat is only16.5 but fairly heavy.At ky Lake in the spring I love it driff-spiderrigging. Its the only way to stay out there with those pretty white waves!
    Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drifting

I've never used more than a single drift sock at one time. They give you a controled drift speed no matter how far the are from your boat. I've also only used the supplied line and usually keep my bow pointing into the wind. I know of a few folks back in Pa. who had splash guard on their sterns and tied off on the stern. You line up upwind of the area you wish to drift cut your power,deploy the sock, and fish across your spot. Also you can power drift by using your motor/electric at the same time. I would wait until I own a pontoon before I try two socks at once. Also the length of line you let out you need to pull back to retrieve your sock. I know there are ones on the market where you can release all the water when you intend to leave. Good Fishing Larry

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Minn Kota drift sock. I wish I had bought the ones with the weights and floats built in. It will allow you to catch fish when everyone else is drifting too fast or going home. Also, buy one with the release cord.