Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Got a Question for All???

Post Thanks / Like

Question Got a Question for All???

For those who troll crankbaits, they have the Troller's Bible which tells depth with amount of line out for different crankbaits. But what about those of us who troll double 1/16 oz. jigs. Here's the question.......if you are trolling at 0.5 mph using 10 lb test monofilament line how much line out do you need to run the jigs at 10 ft deep? Is there a book that tells that?
    YOU ARE EITHER PART OF THE PROBLEM....OR PART OF THE SOLUTION!! CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!

Post Thanks / Like

I just got mine in last week, and haven't had time to memorize it yet :D
    ( it was WAY worth the money! a lot more to it than just depth charts) but
    the only things I remember seeing anywhere close to what you are wanting
    is the depths for spinner rigs with snap-weights - but they start off at
    1 ounce, unless I'm overlooking something.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I dont do the trolling thing yet, but the guys that were doing it in Toledo when we went had about 50-60 ft of line out to get them to troll 10-12ft down. Someone may have something more accurate. Thats all i have to offer on it.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

crappie dog - Here is what I do when I am trying to determine the length of line I need out for a particular plug, jig, etc for a certain depth. I find a flat with a clean bottom and start trolling at a particular depth as measured by my depth/fish finder. If I am using a 1//16th oz jig I let out line at a particular speed until I start dragging bottom and then mark my line with a black marker. Now I have the length of line needed for that depth with that particular lure at that speed. It takes a little time, but gives you a fairly accurate gauge of the line you need to let out for a particular lure at a selected speed for a given depth.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I just troll jigs with my troll motor and change the speed for depth. If you have a variable speed troll motor I would start at 30% or so depending on the wind of course. I start by having it about as far back as I can cast it to the side. Then if I need to change I let out a little more line at a time.

Usually don't need it too much more than the casting distance with a 1/16. If I am trolling in the spring I will use a 1/32 in 3'-7' or so.

So I use the weight of the jig and the speed to control how far back it needs to be.

Oh yeah, the line size will also have a little impact too.

Hope this helps cuz I don't have anything like a book or anything else to tell that.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Good question. I don't have a definite answer. I always start out with lines at different depths or base my depth on the previous fishing trip. Pay close attention to how much line you have out when you start catching fish. I agree that the depth can be controlled with speed, but sometimes the crappie want the bait right in front of thier nose and you got to troll s l o w. Other times they want it moving a little faster. You can alway calculate the depth with a little geometry.
    LET IT RIP!