Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchors Away....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anchors Away....

I need some advice on type of Anchors. I just switched to a pontoon boat this year and my old mushroom mud anchors are not enough to hold it in place. I generally anchor in 10 - 30 feet of water with a mud bottom. River Anchor, Sand Anchor, or something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Digger Anchor

I have two of the 15lb models on my 18' Bass Buggy and they work great. I had tried several other anchors and they would just slow down the drift, but these will hold you in place. They also come up clean, no mud in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

tarheel the sand anchors have done well for me at High Rock - of course in that wind Saturday Night I don't think anything would hold us there
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Digger Anchor - they are great. They hold very well, don't get stuck and definitely come up cleaner than almost any other. Get the saltwater version and they last forever - there is one it is only a bit more $$$. One other thing, no chain rode needed - makes the outfit a bit cheaper and less likely to "bite" the boat. BPS has the Digger series.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in line with the Digger Anchor also. Will hold in winds of 20 plus in my experience with soft bottoms or hard bottoms. Worth the money in my opinion.

Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 32 foot Aloha with a 8 x 12 hard top on it and I use a 20 lb dumbell and it works fine. Yes the store bought anchors are nice but over kill in my opinion. I dont need an anchor that holds in strong wind cause I aint fishing in strong wind. With a mud bottom that dumbell will sink in the mud and flat stick ya solid. Not to mention I dont get upset if I hang it and have to cut it.

Post Thanks / Like

Digger, only way to go. Nothing else compares.
    BPS has them or buy direct from factory at email address.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Actually there are a couple anchors out there that work alittle better than the Digger. The Ritcher will hook up and hold better than the Digger, only draw back with them is storing it.Then last fall we found a company out west that makes an anchor called The Box Anchor.They start out making them for large cruisers and houseboat on the wect coast and lakes like Powell.It doesnt require the 5 to 1 scope like the digger, you can get by on a 2 to 1.The only down fall is theyre expensive, but they fold up, and when you put one down they hold.Iv esold alot of anchors over the years, and I havent seen one this.The owner of the company even told me if you sell one and the customer isnt happy he'll buy it back.I havent had to buy one back yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I have a 21 ft Suntracker pontoon boat, and use a river anchor from Wally World...no problems...just remember the old rule of thumb when anchoring: always put out enough line to equal 5-7 times the depth of the water, and that will ensure the anchor "digs in"...I also use a mushroom off the stern when anchoring in a specific spot to prevent drift...

Bushrod LCDR, USN (Ret.)

Post Thanks / Like

You really don't need to use that much line with the digger anchor. Usually 12-16' of rope will hold just fine in 6-8' of water. The windier it is the more line I let out, but most of the time just let it down and give enough slack for it to lay over and you are done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast