Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone have or fished out of a Sketeer ZX20 Bay?

Post Thanks / Like

Default anyone have or fished out of a Sketeer ZX20 Bay?

Just curious if anyone owns or has fished out of a Skeeter ZX20 bay? The hull looks identical to the ZX20 bass boats but I cant be sure. I have emailed Skeeter a few times and still have not recieved a response. I really like the looks of the Ranger Bay series but they are a little more pricey than what I prefer. The Skeeter Bays are pretty reasonable. I would go with a conventional stlye bass boat but I will be moving back to my homestate of SC as soon as I get out of the Navy and will be fishing Santee and Wateree alot, both have ecxellent blue cat and striper fishing so I want to be able to tightline and longline with the feel of a bass boat and be able to catfish and striper fish if i decide to. If anyone knows of another boat that has these characteristics i am looking for please feel free to let me know as well.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have a ZX20 Bay, have never regretted getting rid of my bass boat. Besides crappie, we do alot of slabbing for white bass and hybrid stripers, the center console is the way to go in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I am willing to fish in yours once you buy it. You know just to say I have. Hewes are nice too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits View Post
    I am willing to fish in yours once you buy it. You know just to say I have. Hewes are nice too!
    You have an open seat anytime crappielimits!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits View Post
    Have to agree with that! The Hewes Redfish and Maverick Master Angler's are some nice sleds indeed!! Dont think you could go wrong with the Skeeter either.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the Hewes but dont like how they are flat across the decks.....seems like stuff could easily roll or fall off. They do look nice though.......

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I was in the market for a 20' bay boat and narrowed my search down to the Skeeter or the 20' Ranger. Ended up buying the Ranger mostly because I had owned a number of Ranger bass boats, through the years, and they have all been good boats. Also, the Ranger customer service is as good as they come. They have come through for me a number of times over the years. I know you have ruled out the Ranger so I won't try to change your mind but I will tell you what I though of the Skeeter when I wet tested the boat. My Ranger takes the rough water very well but I believe the Skeeter may have actually been a little better. The Skeeter would run in the mid to upper 40's with one person on board. The boat is rated for a 150 but it, and the Ranger really need a little more motor. Mine needs at least a 175, if they even make a 175 anymore. My boat also runs in the upper 40's which is plenty of speed for me but where you need the extra power is when you get three people and their tackle in the boat. These boats just don't have the power to handle the extra weight. I rarely fish 3 in my boat so it is not a big factor. The fit and finish was better on the Ranger but the Skeeter looked good. If you buy it you will be proud of it. My fishing is split between South Louisiana marsh fishing for reds and crappie in northwest LA. I truly believe a center console boat is the most practical boat you can buy. It may not look as cool as a sleek bass boat but you will find the floor space to be so much more user friendly that a traditional bass boat. If you have never owned a boat that did not have carpet you will fall in love with the Skeeter because bay boats rarely have carpet. Upkeep and cleaning is so much easier.

Bottom line, if you like the Skeeter, I would highly recommend it. Nice boat and it will fill your needs quite well.

ccm

Post Thanks / Like

Very good write up ccm.

My ZX20 Bay has a 150 VMax with a 4 blade prop, with a full or close to full tank (54 gallons) and only me onboard she'll run a little over 54 by gps, but I very seldom run full tilt. What I really like about the 4 blade is that she gets on pad very quickly and still gets on pad easily and runs good with 4 people onboard.
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Post Thanks / Like

I think I am set on the Skeeter. I will be back from deployment in May/June and plan on trying to track one down in the first month or so. There are several mid 2000's models for around 18-20k that have the Yamaha 4 strokes for sale now on boat trader and Craigslist. Hopefully a few will be left......thanks for all of the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I haven't totally ruled out a Ranger, I just find them to be 5-6k more for the same year and size of a Skeeter. If I find a Ranger or a Skeeter that is a good deal I will not hesitate to pull the trigger, they are both hard to come by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast