I took my youngest son out yesterday in some very gusty winds, fishing was really a work-out. My younger hasn't taken to the outdoors like his older brother and sometimes only goes to get out of other things. Struggling would be an understatement, he likes to seat in the bench seats and wants to stand-up after hooking a fish. Yep, he loses them and gets upset, loses interest and sometimes pouts for pity. Well, I used our trip to explain how life is very similar. Some days they seem to jump into the boat, while others they seem to run away from it. I asked him if he has days like that. So he sat, sulking, thinking and finally expanding on it. I told him "does it look like I'm having a jump in the boat day"? But, I'm here and I'm not giving up am I. You've had some fish on, experience and paying attention will only make you more successful, not quitting.

So, he finally thought it out, rose up and conquered his day. His perseverance paid off and he caught himself 3 walleye and 1/2 dozen nice crappie. Upon arriving home and boasting his catch I felt his pride, it was a great feeling. Then I said "Hey buddy, c'mon over here, let me show you how to clean them" "MOM" and he was gone. But the joy still is there as I write you our story. Take a kid fishing, it teach's them more to life than you think.