Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Rod

I am wanting to get a new jig rod. I am wanting a spinning rod. Any ideas.??? I am thinking a med Lt.
    2008 Triton VT-17
    Humminbird Electronic's
    B'n'M Poles / Shimano Reels
    Lake Fork Baits

Post Thanks / Like

New Panfish St. Croix. Just bought 2 in 8ft length. Pending on the budget. I looking at the new Sam Heaten rods for this year but I use those with fly reels

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There are so many choices that all I can tell you is what I use. Best bet is to allow a couple of months, if you can, and handle all of em that you can before you buy. 3 makers will claim that their action is the same and the rods are different as day and night. I use BnM bucks Graphite Jig Poles (BGJP) in 8, 10, and 12'. If you're dipping pads or trees I can.t comment cuz i don't do much of that. I will also tell you to bring a reel like you will be using when you shop and check for the balance that you want. Holding a pole that is nose heavy for a few hours isn't easy, but one that is well balanced is almost effortless. I have 2 wally marshall tight line specials and they are better suited to rod holders, very nose heavy. Counterbalancing to correct this just means you're holding more weight all day. BPS has a variety of poles in different actions and makers. The Crappie Maxx rods come from UL to MH in all different lengths. Worth the trip for the education. Prices run from about $20 to over $200 for rods the same length, but you shouldn't need to spend over about $50 for a good one. One rod that has a strong following is a Sam Heaton Super Sensitive by BnM. Soft tip makes it real nice, but the rod wont take lots of weight like with Capps and Coleman rigs. Like I said, lots of choices and the right one is there waiting for you, you just have to know what it is.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbhutton View Post
    I am wanting to get a new jig rod. I am wanting a spinning rod. Any ideas.??? I am thinking a med Lt.
    What is your budget?

Post Thanks / Like

Try BPS microlites!

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Skeetbum and Sam Heaton. Have two and work great. Use the CC for spider rigging and or trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess my budget for the rod would be up to about $100. i have been using a Roger Gant "Difference" Rod. I like that and would get another in a stiffer action if i could
    2008 Triton VT-17
    Humminbird Electronic's
    B'n'M Poles / Shimano Reels
    Lake Fork Baits

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy my B & M Buck's jig rod in 8' for down line jig and live bait fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Grizzly brush cutter 10'6 comes with to tips. You can feel everything and a good prices on them.
    Balzout Mounts

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a "Difference" for about a week and returned it, too soft a tip for me. A good rod, I just didn't care for it. The BGJP are stiffer but there are others that are stiffer yet. I also use the 8' bgjp for vertical jigging, mine with braid and a flouro leader, and the feel is outstanding. The Sam Heaton is a little stiffer than the diff, but still light in the tip. I've landed some big cats on the BGJP so I know it will take a beating.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast