Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here…

Post Thanks / Like

Default New here…

Hey guys, I just joined up tonight and look forward to learning all I can and meeting all of you.

A bit about me. I grew up in south Louisiana and have fished saltwater my whole life. The little freshwater fishing I did do was a hook under a cork with a worm attached and let's see what happens. A few brim and cats were hooked this way, not enough to brag on though.
    A few years back my wife and I moved further west from my home town, making it an hour and a half drive to do any saltwater fishing as I don't own or have access to a boat. I work a 7 day on/ 7 day off schedule in which I fish reds while I am work.

On my 7 days off though, most of that time my wife is at work all day and my daughter is at school all day so to have something to do I decided to fish. Driving an hour almost everyday is not economical and being that freshwater is all around me I decided to try my hand at crappie- or sakaulait as they are referred to down here (pronounced sock-o-lay, and in Cajun French means "sack of milk").

My equipment consists of a Shakespeare Outcast and spinning reel in which I have a drop shot rig attached, and a 5' Shakespeare light duty ugly stick with a Shakespeare spincast reel rigged with a slip bobber. Both rigs are using 10 pound test. I'm sure this equipment is not ideal but its what I have right now. I have been out once today with no luck but u didnt expect much with the strong wind gust and falling temp.

Anyway this is long enough already, so I will sign off here and get to reading and learning. See you guys around…

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site. In your situation I'd simply take the 5' light duty ugly stick, keep the slip bobber on, and put me a crappie jig on in place of a hook.
    Sit your bobber stopper at about 4' and hit the banks. Cast out and s-l-o-w-l-y reel back towards the bank. This time of the year the crappie are moving
    towards the banks where they will look for stumps, limbs and any other shallow structure, to spawn. From now until you stop catchin' crappies, the fishin'
    will be good. You may have a need to move one way or the other along the bank but fishin' ain't about findin' a place to sit down and relax. If you want
    to rest, go to a crappie house and sit & fish. And finally, the later into the spawn, the crappie will be almost on the banks spawning........one foot of water
    is about all it takes. Good luck to ya and tight lines.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from New York - You found the right place for tons of info. Plus everyone is supper nice.

Good luck to you. Fish On!!!!
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcomes and tips guys. RetiredRR, I will refer to this thread with your info on my next time out, which should be Monday.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Default New here…

Welcome from nc

Post Thanks / Like

Hey From East LA (Eastern Lower Alabama)

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from NW Miss.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Virginia buddy!
    I only fish on days that end in "Y" - (Retired Navy)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Northeast Michigan..

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast