Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 998 SI Combo

Post Thanks / Like

Default 998 SI Combo

I just added a 998 SI Combo tot he console of my boat. I hear they are only good to use at low to idle speeds. Will it atleast show me an accurate reading f the depth while running? I have not used it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 998 SI Combo

Gonna install mine maybe tomorrow. :thumbup:

Sent from a Droid.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased and installed a HB 998 SI combo in December and am still learning to use it. I'm not sure I'll ever learn everything that that unit will do! One of the key things I've learned about it is to match the chart speed to boat speed at lower speeds....let's say idle to 5 mph....for the most accurate reading. Above that, I don't think the images are reliable, but the depth reading I believe is accurate at all speeds. The only problem I had was getting the transducer angle/depth adjusted properly for depth readings at speed. Follow the installation instructions and you'll be fine! There are a bunch of videos on Utube that you can watch to help learn to use it. Also, HB's customer service has been very helpful the two times I've called them. Put their number in your cell phone and call them right from the water. They will walk you thru questions you may have and you'll be able to see instant results. Enjoy!
    "Grab the net, Henry.........it's a BIG'UN!!!!!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Mine gives some good views but I was more interested in fishing than fooling with it. Anything above 8mph and I lose the depth reading. I do not want to move the transducer again because I do not want to put anymore holes back there.

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on where and how it is mounted. You will more than likely have to buy and learn to use and trust the GPS and the lake off set setting. The navonics charts are good and with the lakemaster charts getting better and expanded to other lakes, they are really reliable. The transducer for mine will be mounted to the jack plate on my boat and once it is there it will not work when i get on plane, and will have to trust the map software.
    Balzout Mounts

Post Thanks / Like

I put a thru hull xducer for lake running, get the y cable and the unit switches itself, but only good for 2D

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is reading depth at all speeds......You evidently do not have your transducer positioned just right.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep