Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Motor question!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor question!

I started up my ol' evinrude today in preparation for fishing tomorrow and noticed exhaust and gear lube coming from prop. Is she terminal Doc or is it just a seal, gasket, or something "minor" like that. I've heard of this before but not sure what the diagnosis would be. Is this something I can fix myself? I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I would like to fix myself if possible. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips that can be shared!
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

Check exhaust for possible stop-up with? Maybe dirt-dobber nest? I am NO mechanic so I really don't know but exhaust sure has to go somewhere, if re-routed in some way(plugged). Maybe when in water it may loosen up if it's a dirt dobber nest. Maybe a close, in the water test, somehow, or test barrel for boat motors? MAYBE, you could find a "trouble shoot" on it from evinrude, on the net. I once was on their website, and they had a "trouble shoot" for an old motor('86/75hp) that I was needing to see the insides of, so you may get lucky there? Hope it's minor! There should be a schematic (SP?) on the evinrude site for your motor, to see the parts of it, and then maybe figure it out from the exhaust pipe pictures to where plug up "may be",,... if there is one, and could possibly be, but,,... really I do NOT know.

Post Thanks / Like

check lower unit oil,change would be good, get new gas and go fishing. most likely just old gas and oil from setting and not getting used .my guess gary

Post Thanks / Like

Dont put it in water until you find out whats wrong. It sound to me like you lost the seal on the prop shaft. If you have gear oil coming out something is wrong and putting it in water will flush all the oil out and blow the bearings.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's black or gray and smells like gas it's typical with a threw hub exhaust.

Absolutely pull the plug (bottom screw) from the lower unit and see if there's water intrusion. Water will come out before any lower unit oil.
    If not? What you are seeing is unburnt fuel and oil coming from the exhaust. Again, that is typical and not to worry.
    Mike

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979