Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: HB 798 HD SI vs HB 898 HD SI For Spider Rigging ALABAMA ADVICE NEEDED

Post Thanks / Like

Default HB 798 HD SI vs HB 898 HD SI For Spider Rigging ALABAMA ADVICE NEEDED

I am going to buy HB798 SI with 2 mounts and transducers for my Triton TR20 boat. I have 2 old B/W models currently.
    My plan is to use 798 this year and move the unit from the console when looking for structure, fish etc. and then move it up front when i start fishing either vertical jigging or spider rigging.
    Then i plan to buy HB898 SI next year and put it on front and move 798 back to console.
    I can only afford one this year so i thought the 798 this year because of easy interchangeable mounting system.
    I would like to go with HB898 SI this year and next but moving one 898 back and forth would seem to be a pain because of its mounting system and wire
    hookup.
    Not a lot of guys spider rig up here so its hard to get advice but i fish that way at times.
    Anybody that uses the type of units your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
    I just dont want to make a mistake one way or the other with this decision. Thanks!

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 798 that I hot swap between my triton and war eagle. One unit seems to meet all my needs the way I have it currently configured for both boats It will not fit in the dash of my triton, so I set-up duplicate RAM mounts on both boats...each has its own transducer. The photos's below are the War Eagle mount.

I have used this unit for two years and have been quite happy with it...once I spent time to "dial-in" the settings. However, after using it the display is small and I have decided I now want a bigger screen. When I get a few more dollars, I am going to buy the new 998.

I think with what you describe, you will be happy with the bigger unit where you fish most. Remember the SI/DI units are not for use at speed unless you mount a second transducer in the the hull.

Name:  20130216_111050_resized.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  86.8 KBName:  20130216_111034_resized.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  77.5 KB
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great pics.
    Do you think it would be hassle to hot swap 898 for a year until 2nd year when i can afford 2nd unit and get another 898 or 998?
    Just retired and plan on fishing a lot God willing.

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The short answer to your question is I don't know if or what kind of hassle it will be to hotswap. My plan is to buy the 998 and figure out my hot swap method. I can't imagine it to be much too much trouble. I think the biggest difference is I will need to upgrade to the heavier RAM mount, and will have to separately plug-in the power and transducer cable vice using the quick connect mount the 798 offers.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    The short answer to your question is I don't know if or what kind of hassle it will be to hotswap. My plan is to buy the 998 and figure out my hot swap method. I can't imagine it to be much too much trouble. I think the biggest difference is I will need to upgrade to the heavier RAM mount, and will have to separately plug-in the power and transducer cable vice using the quick connect mount the 798 offers.
    Thanks for the help. I think i am going to start with 898 this year for the larger screen and next year get another 898 or even 998