Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Plastic Tail Styles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plastic Tail Styles

In reference to Lake Forks New tail styles on the Live Baby Shad, do you think it really matters? And if so, when would one style be better than another?

Thanks,

Stephen

Post Thanks / Like

Well you know how picky crappie can be one day hit anything the next only the one with a funny moving tail. I would say post spawn first part of June when it seems like you really have to finesse them.
    Balzout Mounts

Post Thanks / Like

In reference to Lake Forks New tail styles on the Live Baby Shad, do you think it really matters? And if so, when would one style be better than another?
    Like color, sometimes it does. Underwater You Tube videos show many types and lure being attacked by panfish and
    you can't help but notice that when fish are turned on or interested, finesse is not very important. When fish are neutral and need to be turned on, finesse is important. There are no better examples of neutral fish than those in freezing water!

For example, I've been ice fishing recently and I've poured a minnow shaped lure that is finesse all the way:
    super thin tail that quivers if you breath on it, clear plastic with tiny silver flakes, rigged on a 1/32 oz. jighead. Rod tip action is minimal. Once one fish starts biting, others nearby join in. So far I've caught crappie, bass, sunfish and yellow perch on this 1 1/4" lure.

The lures in the center have done well consistently ice fishing:

IMO finesse involves using color, lure action, size and shape that use less as a rule, tail action the most important.
    When fish are active, none of the above matters.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in favor of a single thin quivering tail or using a tube tail. Either will put crappie in the boat.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Plastic Tail Styles

I like the tail design and action on the new Mr.Crappie baits by Strike King

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how you fishing it. If single poling it does not matter as much, but if you are multipoling it does. Especially, longlining. I have different baits I prefer at different speeds, because of tail action. The same when I am casting. I usually use a bait as describe by Ship when vertical jigging or float/fly method. As when dockshooting I prefer feather style baits, usually chenille. Before longliing a bait I check its action at the side of the bot in clear water at different speeds. Most have little action at speeds less than .6 MPH. I always check new baits in a swimming pool to practice presentation. I like to know what my bait is doing and what the fish is seeing. This is important for hardbaits as well. It is a good way to tune crankbaits and not waste time on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

If it dont have a paddletail, curlytail, or some kind of tail that moves, I AINT TROLLING IT.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

you really want some action try the JETZIT great for long lining and trolling or really any other type of fishing some sick action and the baits are tuff cant hardly tear them apart slab bandit makes them you can go to crazyanglertackle.comName:  jetzit1.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  34.2 KBName:  jetzit2.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  13.0 KB
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

Post Thanks / Like

Those look kinda cool. Looks like they would be better for jigging than trolling though. I am not sold on the ball ends for trolling. I have been given some before and they worked "ok" at best. A paddletail or curlytail is hard to beat when trolling.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think curry tail,next paddle tail for trolling at .8 miles or better,but shooting docks and BP and lay downs a stinger tail for all season has no equal,other baits will do good at times but a stinger is for all season.Another thing most people talks about how well the stinger tail wiggle while reeling but it do not wiggle when reeling slow where it is the most deadly even in hot summer. That no wiggle is what gets their curiosity up. Watch one in clear water sometimes
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8