Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on HB798 HD SI unit for TRUMAN and MARK TWAIN

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice on HB798 HD SI unit for TRUMAN and MARK TWAIN

Going tomorrow to Cabellas and getting HB798 HD SI unit with extra mount and TM transducer for my Triton TR20 glass boat. It currently has in dash mounted Lowrance B/W models that came with the boat in 2000 yr model. I have finally scraped enough money for SI unit. I plan to use both console mount and front mount and switch 1 unit back and forth until i see how i like it and later in the year buy 2nd unit either another 798 or 898 if i feel i need a larger screen.
    I pretty much fish Mark Twain and Truman with occasional trip to Mississippi.
    I have researched this pretty hard and talked to reps at Bass Pro and Cabellas and read many threads on this site.
    I sure would appreciate any input from anybody who crappie fish these lakes or ones similar like these and have SI units.
    I didnt want to start with the HB 598 SI because it wont share info with 898 unit but 798 can if i feel i need bigger screen on 898 for 2nd unit in future.
    What do you guys think. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have that same set up in mine now with the 798 on front and the 898 on back. Am going to take the 798 off and put a 1198 on the front. Use mine at Truman smithville and beaver and they have worked great. I just want a bigger screen on the front. Am going to set up the front with a separate transducer so I can use them independently and hookem up with a Ethernet cable to share info with each other. I have them set up with my terrova and works great.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know jack about the SI stuff but I would think it would be tough to see with the smaller screen! But like I said I don't know squat about electronics! Good luck and hope it works out for ya!

Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a PM. I had an 898 and fished Truman. You will love it. It's fun finding and fishing man made structure that you can't see with the naked eye!

Post Thanks / Like

Bass pro's spring fishing sale starts next weekend and I think Cabela's also has 1. check the web sites for sale brochures. BP has theirs up. You might save some money.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate all the help so far on this from everybody. Going to wait now until mid week or so before get unit now. A lot of love on here for the 898 as it would also be my choice if i could afford 2 of them right now but have enough for one only now but want to be able to interchange unit from console while searching and then detach unit and move it to front when fishing. The 798 Quick detach mount allows for this but it seems it would become a pain in the neck to do this with the 898 with its wires and mount style or am I wrong about this? I sure dont want to make a big mistake on either of the models. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

the 898 does not move as easy as the 798. i can just pop it out and its off. the 898 has a bigger cable bundel with one big center screw and it is or would be a pain to move bake and forth during a fishing outing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by red ranger View Post
    the 898 does not move as easy as the 798. i can just pop it out and its off. the 898 has a bigger cable bundel with one big center screw and it is or would be a pain to move bake and forth during a fishing outing.
    How do you like the 798 overall. To me it seems to be a good choice to staert and learn with this unit first because of being able to move back and forth as i have never even owned a color finder.
    The 798 would be major upgrade over my B/W units.

Depends on the season. but between Warrensburg Mo and south Louisiana is a good place to look
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish Truman from time to time lol my 798 is great but if you put it on your troller then the SI will be OK at best due to the ever changing troller direction. I still get awesome detail just about 50% of the time. The 2d is freaking awesome!! I run left right /2d three way split on mine. That way if SI isn't clear my 2d makes up for it. I never ran it on my transom but I'm sure it will be great.I'm saving for a monster screen for the transom. Easy to take on and off and all round awesome unit.I can't praise it enough
    In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story – the side that reflects poorly on the government – somehow gets lost. – Richard J. Maybury, The Abe Lincoln Hoax

Post Thanks / Like

may i recommend going to Humminbird 798ci Hd Si Combo to purchase your 798. that is where i got mine and it was by far the best price. $858.95 with free shipping. then i bought a 788 di for the front. it was a little over $600. they also ship super fast! right now they have a $50 mail in rebate to boot. so basically you would be getting it for $808.95. bass pro or cabelas couldn't touch that price with a 10 ft crappie rod!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast