Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hybrid Crappies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hybrid Crappies

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ
    From the looks of these hybrids I think the fisheries should seriously think about establishing a breeding and stocking program for them, name them and start thier own catagory like they did with the hybrid striper.
    Any thought on this guys? Hybrid crappies like the kentucky record and the monster recently caught in TN would be great to have around more.
    Good things come to those who bait.

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What do they look like? Im sure that would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=23026

Both fish I'm refering to previously are in this post. That kentuky pic is one of the most impressive crappie pics I've ever seen.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Hey Grizz .....

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ
    Any thought on this guys? Hybrid crappies like the kentucky record and the monster recently caught in TN would be great to have around more.

I don't remember ... did they ever determine that the TN fish was a record ? Was it ever identified as a "hybrid" ?

Penny's fish was declared a hybrid (naturally occuring), and is the current state record (Ky does not distinguish between White, Black, or hybrid Crappie for state records). http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/062705....h=C105C122C444

And what about the Magnolia Crappie (sterile triploid hybrid) ? http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/archiv...p/t-12498.html

I agree that it would be nice to have the chance to tangle with 3, 4, 5lb or larger Crappie ..... more often, and over a greater range of waters. But, naturally occurring hybrids are few and far between, and Magnolia Crappie are sterile (and would have to be "manufactured", and constantly restocked). I wonder, though, what the impact would be on the resident population, if hybrids became the dominant population numbers. Would a mass majority of sterile hybrids cause the resident population to dwindle in numbers, or stunt ? Would sterile "hybrids" ever be able to mass produce, since they tend to mate with purebred resident fish (and the offspring revert back to a more purebred strain) ?

Good topic for discussion .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what it is, it's a really nice fish! I would love to get into some like that!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the same concerns came up when they introduced the hybrid striper and that fish has integrated into the fishery quite well as far as I know, and hasn't taken over the natural species place. I wish we had some fisheries experts as part of the group to inform us of whats going on in these areas.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 08-05-2006 at 01:19 PM.