Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: DepthFinder questions, please help

Post Thanks / Like

Default DepthFinder questions, please help

I have a Lowrance X37 that came on my Tracker PT170. I added a Humminbird Matrix 17 on the trolling motor. Is it me or is the Matrix 17 just a better unit?

I am beginning to get frustrated with the X37. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Could someone recommend some setting so I can actually use this thing to find structure and fish? I have thought about changing it out for another but am strapped for $ right now. It seems that the Lowrance X37 is just a cheaper unit, but surely it can do better than what I have it doing.

How many of you have a unit that you can use while motoring at higher speeds? My unit goes out when going at anything really above idle.

Can anyone suggest any good units that are on the inexpensive side? Any help will be appreciated.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You probably just need to turn up the sensitivity. As for loosing the bottom when moving, your transducer isn't installed or adjusted properly. In case you don't have it, you can get a copy of the manual here http://www.lowrance.com/
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    You probably just need to turn up the sensitivity. As for loosing the bottom when moving, your transducer isn't installed or adjusted properly. In case you don't have it, you can get a copy of the manual here http://www.lowrance.com/
    Thanks for the advice. Do you know anything about this model?

Post Thanks / Like

if you are loosing your signal at a speed above idle, your transducer is probably getting air under it. have someone drive the boat, lay down and look over the back, having them speed up and see whats going on around your transducer. be careful doing it. be safe. you probably have a wake developing under the unit when you speed up. move it to the outside edge of the transom, in slick water. it should work fine then. lowrance is quality stuff. just sounds like to me the unit is mounted incorrectly.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    if you are loosing your signal at a speed above idle, your transducer is probably getting air under it. have someone drive the boat, lay down and look over the back, having them speed up and see whats going on around your transducer. be careful doing it. be safe. you probably have a wake developing under the unit when you speed up. move it to the outside edge of the transom, in slick water. it should work fine then. lowrance is quality stuff. just sounds like to me the unit is mounted incorrectly.
    Thanks. I will try that, but I would think the dealer would install it correctly. Did I really say that?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to have to be the one to tell ya. I had a X37 came with the boat. Had problems so got a new high power one. I put the transducer in the exact same spot as the old one. Now I have no problems. So it might be ok were it was installed. You just need more power. My X135 is great. I see stumps and grass clearly. Can see fish right next to a stump. Has Captain Kirk like to say. Scottie I need more power.
    "Smiles don't leave a lake without one."
    "White Perch the other white meat."
    "CK the Official Tester of floating nets".