Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ahhh - matching the hatch ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ahhh - matching the hatch ??

I usually try to stay out of discussions when it comes to colors that match a specific forage, especially when it concerns bass or trout fishing. I was wondering if anyone believes in matching for crappie or any other species?

Diehards will argue to the death that color matching of the predominant prey in an area is essential to catching fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a chartreuse minnow, but crappie sure do seem to like that color.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    I usually try to stay out of discussions when it comes to colors that match a specific forage, especially when it concerns bass or trout fishing. I was wondering if anyone believes in matching for crappie or any other species?

Diehards will argue to the death that color matching of the predominant prey in an area is essential to catching fish.
    Here's my :

If that were true .... all Crappie baits would be white, grey, grey/white, or silver/white (as most baitfish species are basically those colors). If Crappie only feed on the "predominant prey" of a body of water ... then how do you explain why so many Crappie are caught on so many different colors, or combinations of colors ... even to the extent of those colors being garish beyond even the most colorful of ANY species present in those waters ??
    Crappie are sight feeders, for the most part ... so any bait that's easier for them to see, given the conditions, makes it easier for them to find that bait. If/when they can't see the bait, its movement through the water sends a pressure wave that's picked up by their lateral line .. and they can home in on it. Don't make much difference what color it is, then.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I like your logic! Unfortunately some of the bass anglers over at NYBass (actually most of those that posted) must think bass are a whole lot more intelligent than crappy and discriminate what they eat at any moment by the predominant prey in the water column they've found fish in or suspected they are feeding on. My last post on that site pretty much argues the logic of what you just posted: why do all species attack the weirdest colors all year round?!!!

Other than color visibility, I believe that color can emphasize a lures action: bright colors show off a curly or tube tail's flutter; silver flakes or blades flash with every rod tip jerk; fish notice the pearl color of a small jerk minnow a lot better than a dark color.

Come to think of it, I've never heard of any study suggesting that one species of fish is any more intelligent than another when it comes to feeding or reading a book. LOL

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoon .... as with most people, on most any subject of discussion ... no one likes to be "wrong", and most always think what they think is right !! Anglers are no different, regardless of what species they fish for.

I don't particularly like confining anglers into catagories (like "Bassers", or "Perch Jerkers") ... but, next time a Bass Angler makes such a "all or nothing" statement about what Bass "prefer", as far as color in a bait ... do what I've always done : go out & catch them on any/every other color BUT the one they're using.

I could buy a box full of Crappie jigs, or Bass baits, if I had a nickel for every time I've been asked the question : "what color are you using ?? " (and it's usually NOT the color THEY are using)

Jus' sayin '

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    Unfortunately some of the bass anglers over at NYBass (actually most of those that posted) must think bass are a whole lot more intelligent than crappy and discriminate what they eat at any moment by the predominant prey in the water column they've found fish in or suspected they are feeding on.
    They gotta do that to justify paying $20 for a crankbait.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Give me a minnow or a soft plastic with some chartreuse in it anyday! Your livewell and your belly will be filled with crappie.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

as with most people, on most any subject of discussion ... no one likes to be "wrong", and most always think what they think is right !! Anglers are no different, regardless of what species they fish for.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I thing though that bass fishing especially has received so much media coverage in books, magazines, videos, fishing shows, etc., that after a while gurus come out of the woodwork making names for themselves winning tournaments, calling themselves 'uncle', 'babe', 'Woo', by their initials, this or that and they grow a core of believers that swear to the 'wisdom' of what they speak or write. Not so strange are the lures they sponsor which they associate with guaranteed catches even on tough days.

Any angler that thinks, remembers, tests theories (their own or someone else's) and fish's a great deal on different waters, can't help but form opinions that actually simplify fishing and question the logic or claims of the pros/experts.
    If you've fished as long as I have (since 1954) and learned from personal experiences and especially from other anglers in your boat (or on this site), you can't help but see that pretty much everything is a variation of the classic methods and equipment used before we were born or before the advent of TV commercials.

It's nice looking at a new winter fishing catalog and not buying more crap I don't need. Maybe that's why people justify certain ideas - to justify buying more crap or justify the crap they already own. Maybe that's also why they own every color in the color spectrum for each lure just in case.....
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 02-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The fishermen have pockets full of money!!! I agree anything chartreuse and tell the bass guys to please inform their fish to stop hitting my small, bright baits.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always considered the term "match the hatch" to size and not color, especially so with white bass or hybrid stripers. It seems that if they are feeding on small shad and I'm using a larger profile bait I don't do well, or vise-versa. When switching to a profile that matches the size they're feeding on, catch rates increase. Just my two cents worth.
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast