Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuff Bite on Jigs, Think about Trying This??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuff Bite on Jigs, Think about Trying This??

We have been sweltering with over 30 days out of 40 of 100 plus degree days and the crappie fishing for me has been tough using crappie jigs. Last year when the bite got tough, I happened to experiment with some micro jigs that I purchased in the Trout Section at Bass Pro Shop. Anywhoo, for the last three weeks the bite really slowed down on the 1/16 oz. jigs I was using, targeting brush piles in the 10-14 ft. range and a very few docks. I recently have drastically improved my catches by using the micro jigs. I went through the same areas again using the 1/16oz. and very little. I tied a 1/16 oz. about 10 inches above the 1/64oz. jig and found I could get in the target zone of 10-14 ft. and it appears the little microjig is almost floating even with or slightly above the 1/16 oz. Man, you talk about an immediate difference. It was suprizing the number of fish I was not catching, although when using minnows I did catch some fish.
    It might be worth trying if the jig bite has slowed, and I am sure the veterans might even have a better method of using the microjig. I tried just tying two of the microjigs on, but I could not get them down to the depth I needed.
    One word of caution, the microjigs seemed to have the hook point bent to far toward the shank so I took some pliers and opened the gap up which helped. I caught some big crappie on these microjigs and have no idea why they would not take the 1/16oz., but I was not going to argue with them.

Just a thought and perhaps will help someone catch an extra crappie. Not trying to push the jigs, but they were called White River, Prolites. Seemed like there are in 12 packs for less than a buck and a half. I am sure there are much better jigs out there. I found them in pure white, white head/yellow tail, and white head/chartruce tail. The microlite jigs do not get hung in the brush very bad either.

Good Fishing,
    Ron, Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, that is why I use 1/32 in the spring to fish around grass with out getting hung too much and I also feel the fish will hit the 1/32 oz. even when they don't hit larger jigs.

Also why I have added 1/32 oz. jigs with a #6 & #8 hooks. They are small (especially the #8 hooks) but look very good.

Wile your micro 1/64 is smaller, when they get this small I am pretty sure the 1/32 with a #8 hook will produce as well. I just a few days ago made up some solid Yellow Chartreuse ones to try. Also made a few in other colors, but the Yellow Chart. sure look good.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Ron ....

there's very sound reasoning behind your "micro" jig suggestion. When water temps get to a point, oxygen content of the water decreases. Warm/hot waters do not hold oxygen as well as cool/cold waters. The fish will seek out a "happy medium" of depth/temp/oxygen content ... but, they still have to eat. Being stressed by the high water temps and decreased oxygen, they become lethargic and don't chase prey or indulge in the eating of "normal" sized or larger prey ... but, they still want/have to eat. The "micro" sized bait fits the bill, as it allows the fish to use less energy to digest, while still maintaining their food intake.
    Did you know that, on lakes that stratify in the Summer, some fish may even lose weight ? Having to stay in the "comfort/survival zone" area of water, decreases the overall amount of water area that the fish can survive in ... which can decrease the opportunity to feed. Growth rates are generally highest from April thru July ... and slows afterwards, due in part to the increased use of metabolic energy to grow the egg/sperm sacs (for the upcoming Spring's spawning session). It's also possible that the higher water temps create higher metabolism in the fish, which can decrease their weight if sufficient nutrition isn't consumed. The higher water temps also stress and slow down the fish, due to the decreased dissolved oxygen content of the warmer water ... making them less likely to feed as often, or on a size of foodsource that will consume more energy to catch & digest, than it provides.
    ............ cp

Post Thanks / Like

i use micro jigs a lot and catch some nice fish when bigger jigs arn't working good. i like to use canyon plastics tubes and minnow heads. they improve my bluegill catch ratio also
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Pappy

I certainly appreciate the thoughts and your knowledge. Explanations like that are helpful in trying to understand this remarkable fish.

Thanks and Good Fishing
    Ron, Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Skip and CK14, thanks for your comments and ideas. Skip you have some great looking jigs, so I gather you do tie some microjigs for sale.

Good Fishing,
    Ron, Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

has anyone tried the little 1/48 oz. heads? i have noticed that hot conditions change the feeding habits of white crappie. they seem to prefer small morsels with a slow presentation. black crappie in my area are few and far between and i haven't caught enough of them to know a lot about their feeding habits. the tips from our friend in texas has got my old brain to churning. think i will try a new approach. i've read about crappie spitting up 3 inch shad, but i doubt they have the desire to chase down shad this size in water that's above 80 degrees. i know i move a lot slower in hot weather.

Post Thanks / Like

willsjwills
    We only have white crappie out here in West Texas, so it kind of fits what your thoughts are. Water temps. are running early morning around 83 and before dark around 87. I sure wish we had some black crappie, but I think our lakes have to high a ph for them.

Regards,
    Mud

Post Thanks / Like

Mud-Dabber these are about as small as I tie right now and they are pretty little with that #8 hook even if they are 1/32 oz. When you ask I took this picture to show them.
    Attachment 6181
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I nightstalked last weekend using jigs only Friday night and only caught 2 crappie. I used every jig in the box and didnt get a hit till I tied on a jig given to me by a crappie.com member (LaBill). His jigs are made out of a hook and epoxy and just look like an ant. Small little dudes but tough. the only problem I had with them is the crappie always swallows the hook.

Muddabber I googled white river prolites and couldnt find them. Where did you get them? I am sure my wife would like me to buy more tackle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast