Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on wind socks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on wind socks

I fish alot on a windy lake and was wondering about using them. Never see anyone use them so how are they used and what kind do you recommend And what size and how many will I need for a big 20' tin boat

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16.5' tin boat and have two 2X Large 48" socks from Cabela's. They help a lot slowing the boat down drift fishing. I sometimes have both tied to the back of the boat and at times tie one in front and one in rear allowing the boat to drift sideways. I bought the biggest the recommended for a 16' boat and later got another.

Post Thanks / Like

I could not fish without them, one will work, two makes life a lot easier. Two will keep the boat on a straight path, versus one pulling from either corner. I've got the cabelas house brand, but used others, they are all about the same. Get one a size or two bigger than recommended for your boat, you won't be sorry.
    Last edited by Locator79; 02-11-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Can you adjust how much drag you get with them?

Post Thanks / Like

Socks are ok, but alot of work. I use chains.

Post Thanks / Like

Throw the chart sizes out the window and get the biggest one you can. Two is moe betta than one. I have two 77" inchers that I use for my 16.5' deep v but I don't usually use them both at the same time but sometimes I do. It just depends on the conditions and the speed most attractive to the fish on a given day.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Speeds on your trolling motor, get em BIG and they will almost stop the drift in the boat and you run the troller to maintain desired speed. I drag chains but have fished with a bunch of guys using socks, most of them have 2 sets. A pair medium size and a pair of the biggest they can get. Cabelas is the place to get em from what they say, been looking at em but chains have served me well as I dont fish deep water very often, rarely over 20 foot deep.
    Good luck
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

At least 2 I have 2 of the Cabelas American angler and am going to get 2 more much larger ones. If it's breezy mine work well but when it really gets up they are not enough. Yes you can kind of control speed and direction by putting them farther back. I made a 8ft harness and made up another harness for each that is 8ft. You can run one short and stretch another out to kind of tac like a sail boat. They are the cats meow when slow trolling.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    At least 2 I have 2 of the Cabelas American angler and am going to get 2 more much larger ones. If it's breezy mine work well but when it really gets up they are not enough. Yes you can kind of control speed and direction by putting them farther back. I made a 8ft harness and made up another harness for each that is 8ft. You can run one short and stretch another out to kind of tac like a sail boat. They are the cats meow when slow trolling.
    Alrrite, spill the beans on these homemade harnesses. Having to have a harness for each one is what has kept me from buying.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I copied a ski tow harness and clip to each eye on rear of boat just make sure harnes long enough to stay out of big motor

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast