Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good aerator to convert a cooler to a livewell

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a good aerator to convert a cooler to a livewell

As I've thought through the possibilities for livewells in my crappie boat, I'm finding the idea of having a removable and insulated livewell the most attractive. This being the case, I'm reasonably sure the simplest and cheapest way to achieve this is with an Igloo Cooler or equivalent.

I don't mind modifying the interior of the cooler, but want to avoid as much as possible cutting through to the outside. I am thinking if I can find an areator with reasonably thin power supply wiring and possibly a rechargeable interior battery, I can accomplish what I wish without whacking up the exterior of the cooler too much.

I plan on keeping it simple related to the water quality by keeping a pitcher on board to use as a water exchanger, since I don't want to deal with tubes.

I plan on mounting two of these, one on each side of the boat. One for minnows and one for crappie.

Can you folks help me find a suitable selection for the aerators?

Thank you,

Dave
    Dave in Statham, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, look at the Keep Alive KA460 or KA460F(floater) I added the KA460 to my livewell and it works just fine! www.keepalive.net <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember what brand it is but I have one that is made to fit inside a ice chest and if you can find one of them it works well.

Other than that, here is one...
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...dexId=cat20188
    And another...

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Hope this helps!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Default aerators

Cabelas also has one that the tubes go in through the drain of a cooler
    Most people call them green onions, but they are really ---------?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sent You A Pm To Read

B C

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInGA
    As I've thought through the possibilities for livewells in my crappie boat, I'm finding the idea of having a removable and insulated livewell the most attractive. This being the case, I'm reasonably sure the simplest and cheapest way to achieve this is with an Igloo Cooler or equivalent.

I don't mind modifying the interior of the cooler, but want to avoid as much as possible cutting through to the outside. I am thinking if I can find an areator with reasonably thin power supply wiring and possibly a rechargeable interior battery, I can accomplish what I wish without whacking up the exterior of the cooler too much.

I plan on keeping it simple related to the water quality by keeping a pitcher on board to use as a water exchanger, since I don't want to deal with tubes.

I plan on mounting two of these, one on each side of the boat. One for minnows and one for crappie.

Can you folks help me find a suitable selection for the aerators?

Thank you,

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I have done (with Jerry Blake's expert rigging assistance) exactly what you are wanting to do. I used one of the 5-day coolers because they're well insulated. For the drain, I took out the cooler's drain plug and plumbed it to the outside of my boat with flextube. Use a piece of pvc and fittings to make an overflow tall enough that the cooler won't overflow but you can still shut the lid. I used a normal intake bilge pump and flextube for water input (wasn't difficult at all to drill that hole near the top and installed a cutoff valve). All this can be purchased at Lowes or other hardware stores. And then use the Keep Alive Oxygen Infuser wired with a timer. As long as I keep fresh, cool water on my minnows I can keep a pound for weeks. My boat is at Lake Greeson right now, but if I remember, I will take a picture of it tomorrow and post it for you.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The oxygen infusers are initially expensive but well worth the price. The Wal-Mart model for bait fish works great I have used one now for three years with no problem. I hooked a bilge pump up in a ice chest and ran the wires through a small hole drilled through the top it works great for me. I can just drape it over the boat for fresh water any time. Inexpensive way out.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, lots of great replies. Thanks everyone for the help.

Crappie chat and Skiptomylu,

thank you for the links, good stuff

Skiptomylu and Big Crappie,

On the power bubbles, do just the air hoses go in the cooler or the whole unit? Seems like you could run two coolers with one of those or are they really better for just one large cooler?

Darryl,

I can visualize from your description of how you are getting water in, but how are you getting it back out of the cooler? Can you post that pic and elaborate some more? Sounds interesting and I am thinking I'd like to use an aerator and possible have the capability to run fresh water in the coolers every now and again.

Oh, the five day cooler you mentioned. What brand is it and where did you get it. I'm thinking I'd rather invest in a well insulated cooler of a good size up front than buy something inadequate and have to modify it.

Ranger690,

Thank you for the link to the other discussion. quite interesting, lots of good ideas and pics.

Fish.on,

What model or brand wal mart model is it? I went and looked, but couldn't find it. What is it called, so I can ask. Getting tough with them going to hunting stuff to find the fishing stuff. Only good thing is I might be able to get it on sale.
    Dave in Statham, GA

Post Thanks / Like

You may wanna try "The Oxygenator" by Aqua Innovations http://www.keepfishalive.com/bait.html

Here's a link with frequently asked questions about it.
    http://www.keepfishalive.com/faqs.html
    CrappieMagnet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast