Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: rod length question

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod length question

So what is the purpose for the really long rods? 12 to 16'. Is it just to get the bait further away from the boat, or do they have some other benefits?
    This might be a dumb question, but I'm trying to decide if its worth buying some or not.
    Thanks, Terry

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: rod length question

I started out with 10 footers then later switched to 12's......now I am useing 14's....the extra distance from the boat does help a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wylie catter View Post
    So what is the purpose for the really long rods? 12 to 16'. Is it just to get the bait further away from the boat, or do they have some other benefits?
    This might be a dumb question, but I'm trying to decide if its worth buying some or not.
    Thanks, Terry
    Get bait away from boat farther
    Get lines away from trolling motor blade
    Wider swath through the water when fanned out

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Just depends on how you fish and what kind if fishing you do. If you jig fish then I perfer to use a long pole, start out with a 10 footer, They are kind of hard to cast with but at no time at all you will get the hang of it. If you use a slip bobber or fish is tight cover then use a shorter pole, 7 or 8 footer.
    Lets go soak a line. Pat

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use 12' rods. Many of the lakes I fish develop a thermocline in the summer at about 12'. It is VERY easy to measure exactly how much line I have out and get my bait back to the productive depth. I also use some 7' rods - on these I'll put a brightly colored slip-bobber knot on the line so I can mark a productive depth.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 10' and they work for me. Gonna go to 12' or 14' soon
    2008 Triton VT-17
    Humminbird Electronic's
    B'n'M Poles / Shimano Reels
    Lake Fork Baits

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely consider for multipole fishing. They keep baits ahead of trolling motor, spread baits out, and give you leverage to fight fish. When longlining you can start with the longest rod at the front and decrease length to cover a larger area and keep baits seperated to minimize tangles.

Post Thanks / Like

When vertical jigging I use the rule of thumb "the shallower and clearer the water the longer the rod". I use a 7 footer in deeper water and up to a 12 in 5 feet or less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wylie catter View Post
    Thanks, Terry
    All depends on how you fish.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944