Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying used boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default buying used boats

I have been looking for awhile for a center console boat in the 20' to 22' range. I have found very few that are freshwater only boats, the best selection for this style boats seem to be texas and florida. Have you or would you buy a used boat that has been primarily used in saltwater? The selection is very good and you can find alot that are reasonably priced. What are the drawbacks on buying a saltwater boat? I am looking for one for big lakes and rough water for mainly crappie and trolling for walleye and occassionally catfishing. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I would look on Craigs list for SC and other states that have a huge freshwater Striped Bass fishery. We have a bunch of center console boats in that range that never see the coast. Sea Pro and Polar are popular models but I've seen Grady Whites and Boston Whalers and other top brands here too. I went to the Boat show here this weekend and about 1/3 of the boats on display were that type. I would think NC and Ga would be similar.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple from my area that I doubt ever been in salt water: 2004 23' SEAPRO

REDUCED ! '99 Grady White Sportsman 180

2005 Sea Hunt Triton 172 Center Console

These may not be exactly what you are looking far, but my point is there are a bunch of this kind available
    Good luck
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with a boat run in saltwater usually it just needs to be maintained more. The trailer is usually the most affected. Most here in Fla either put in brackish water or flush after every use and most pressure wash immediately after returning. I would also try in the Lake Lanier area.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 23' Ranger that spent it's first 7 years in Salt. Motor and hull were perfect. I have had to replace some pumps and trailer axles. Latches on the compartments need to be replaced also. Overall though, it was a good investment and fishes like a dream on those rough days. I found it on Craigslist in the Mobile area. Found one in Il that was used in freshwater on the great lakes but it sold before I could make the call.

Name:  ready.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  45.0 KBName:  rigging.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  42.0 KBName:  12-12-12 Randy & Bill.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  56.8 KB
    Last edited by feelay; 02-10-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Try looking in lake Texhoma area to. Also have seen some on Dallas Craigs list. Having lived and fished on the coast I would not hesitate buying one off the coast if it showed well to start with. One thing I would do if I bought one myself would be to replace the entire wiring system. That is going to take the most abuse from sat corrosion. I would just figure that into the purchase price as a cost of buying the boat.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Triton 2690 that I use primarily in saltwater when I am not chasing crappie on the Ross Barnett Resvervior and it and my two Yammi 150 four strokes are purring after 1100 hours. I trust it enough to take it 90 miles offshore to the green canyon tuna fishing. Don't overlook a boat simply because it was used in a salt environment especially if it was only used in a brackish water. All the damage is preventable with proper maintenance, and when is is not maintained properly it is usually very obvious(heavy corrosion) with little inspection. Check the zinc plates, salt water transfers more energy and speeds up oxidization. If the engine foor has signs of oxidization then they probably weren't changing the anodes very often. Also, look at your wiring and battery connections for corrosion. I change all my connectors every year.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe a long way from Kansas.....but look at the areas around lake erie.....lots of good sized center console boats up there......port clinton, sandusky, marble head areas of Ohio should be worth a look......good luck & God bless

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Good info. guys, much appreciated. I have been watching the dallas craiglist and the texoma pretty regular, and have seen a few of interest. I will widen my search area for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a little advice...Most of the bay boats ride high at the bow. Don't care for that when spider rigging. The Rangers sit lower in the water on the bow than most, which was why I was looking for one exclusively.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast