Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long line trolling, pushing corks, and spider rig equipment

Post Thanks / Like

Default long line trolling, pushing corks, and spider rig equipment

As some of you know I have a new boat and need to expand my fishing techniques. I have some hi tek holders for my boat and fixing to get my new 998SI hooked up. I want to expand to spider rigging and pushing corks. I have a limited budget so do not want to spend a fortune. What rods could I buy at Gander Mountain that would work for spider rig, and what rods would work for pushing corks. What are the reasonably priced ones you would recommend for each style and what length for each style. I am not much into going real long so what is the shortest length that I could be successful with? Would I need any 14 foot or could I do well with just 10 and 12 foot rods?

Do you guys only spider rig with live bait and use live bait and jigs when pushing corks? I have done a little bit of long line trolling in the past and think I can figure that part out, but anything you think I might need to know about that is also appreciated. This is a lot of questions but if you have the time I appreciate any and all efforts to respond.

BAMA S is online now Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gander mountain worked for me when I set my outfit up. I went with the bnm West Point poles at29.99 a piece for 12' poles. I've been 4 times with em, and really liked em. There is a lot of options out there but these will get you started. Falcon Smitty turned me on to them and he does some guiding so his get used at lot. Spinning reels are a whole nut her smoke.lol there are so many options. I chose to go simple with a rhino close face being I fish with kids a lot.have not tried fishing corks yet only tight lining when I rig.

Post Thanks / Like

i have learned everything, so far, i know from some of these ms heatherns and most, not all, use 14 footers for spider rigging.
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 12' rods, though not the ones Bama stated. I have no trouble keeping the lines out of the TM which I feel is most important as my water that I fish is not gin clear. These are as long as you can go without going to 3 piece rods. The rods he stated are my choice for pushing cranks, which is on my list of things to do this summer. My spread is 6 rods with the 12's in the middle and a 10 on the ends. Reels is a snap, no need to spend over $20 each. I have some Shimano and lately have bought the Diawa Sweepfire reels that were under $15 and do a good job, all spinners. I use the 2000 series for the spool size and drag size with no complaints.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Grizzly Jig has Pinnacle trolling rods 4-$60. They are fiberglass composite, great for spider rigging as you dont notice the weight. I use a $7 sheakspere clicker reel on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have experience with these Pinnacle trolling rods that Semo has mentioned. I also have another question. Is spider rigging when you are just sitting still over brush with the rods fanned out or just barely drifting and pushing corks you use a cork and slow troll pushing the corks on front of the boat, is this about the only difference?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Pinnacals. Do a good job. You can Spider with them,longline even pull cranks if need be. When spider rigging it's the spread of the poles across the front. Call it what you want, sitting still yes slow trolling or pushing corks off the front yes. Some fish only artificals, some fish straight minnows and some like me fish the jigs tipped with minnow. You just have to experiment and let the fish tell you what they want.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I long line in spring and like just using one rod and holding it, unless I need to do something and then I will use my holders. I use mostly from 7' to 10' Rods and even though one of their more costly rods I like the B&M Bucks Ultimate. I also use it in summer fishing over brush piles and at night. My 7' is a St. Croix and I have one that is almost 8' I got custom made and like it a lot. I have not done any spider rigging so no help there and want to do some slow trolling, but I have not done enough of that yet to be helpful.

I like 1/32 oz. jigs for long lining and my favorite is the Roadrunner, but other jigs will work. It helps a lot to keep the bait up when going slow and some times that helps to slow to under .8 MPH. Using light bait also let you troll over the grass/Hydrilla and other type stuff.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I use minnows to spider rig reelfoot(rosey reds to be exact) on a grizzly double minnow rig, no bobbers just tightline.

Post Thanks / Like

the pinnacles best for the money....grizzly jig has the deal on them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast