Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: On-board charger hook up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default On-board charger hook up.

I just bought a 24 volt Terrova and was wondering about hooking up my on-board charger. Do I have to get a 2 bank charger? The one I have now is a single bank with 10 amps output. How do you guys have yours hooked up? Thanks in advance for the help!
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day!

Post Thanks / Like

Me personally I would go 3 bank and minimum of 10 amps per bank especially if you need the batteries charged overnight a 5 amp takes way to long to charge the trolling motor batteries. The reason I say three I would include the starting battery unless you are making long long runs the starting battery doe`s not get charged enough running electronics bilge aerator radio etc.. My outboard has a 65 amp alternator on it and by the time I get home and plug in my charger the starting battery takes a lot of charge.

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bricks. MinnKota makes a great one called a MK 330. I bought one for my boat and only worry about plugging one cord up when I get in from guiding. Great warranty also. I think there is still a $30 rebate on them at this time. Check with some of the board sponsors for a deal.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a three bank charger and hook one bank up to each battery. I have a MinnKota 330 D with 10 amps per bank...I love it.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

You could get a 2 bank 20 amp for the trolling batts and use the existing one for the start batt.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you're willing to get up in the middle of the night to switch wires around, your 24 volt system is going to need at least a two-bank charger. The guys are right about the three-bank charger being the way to go. Your electronics, live well pumps, etc. will take a lot of juice out of your big motor battery.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't fish back to back days when I have been on the TM real heavy, my time is mostly 1 day at a time. I have a 3 bank with 5 or so amps each and reasonably new batteries. When I have been on the TM hard and plug the boat in, my green light comes on in 6 to 8 hours, plenty quick enough for me. The charger is a BPS store brand- pro mite or something close to that- and was not very expensive. It was lots cheaper than the 10 amp each version. 1 bank per battery is best, and I spaced mine off the bulkhead it is mounted to by stacking 5 or 6 washers between them. Chargers generate heat and dissipating that heat will help the life of the unit and not cook the fiberglass/wood bulkhead it is mounted to. Just how I did it, hope this helps you along.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around