Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trying to find a bimini top for my 1436 jon

Post Thanks / Like

Default trying to find a bimini top for my 1436 jon

The smallest size I've found is 54" wide but my boat is 36" wide. Seems like too much of a difference to work.

I live down south, and it's nearly unbearable in the sun during the day. I need something to shade me and my fishing pards when we go out on the water.

Anybody have any solutions as to what to use as bimini top or where to find one that will fit? I've tried a big beach umbrella, but that was too goofy looking and didn't really cover the boat with shade that well.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen some people that used PVC pipe and a tarp. It looked like it got the job done. With a little thought you could make it look good too. You can buy the swivel joints for tops at Cabelas or Bass Pro and put something together.

The other thing would be to buy the wider one and then take a little out of the width and have a shop sew it back together. The frame for the tops is usually made of more than one piece so there may be a joint where you could take a little out.
    Last edited by Drifty4; 08-03-2006 at 05:58 AM.
    Lund Rebel XL 1625 Merc 60 4 stroke
    Yamaha T8 Lowrance HDS 5
    Minn Kota 70lb I Pilot 60"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the ideas, Drifty. I was thinking I could bend something up with conduit and use a cheap tarp. I've been googling, but haven't found anything home-made yet. I don't care if it folds, as long as I can disassemble it and stuff it under my front deck.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

Bowfin. I ordered a bimini top from a place in FL. that I found doing a search on the net. I beleive they will build to suit your need. I swaped boats awhile back and took the fabric off and cut the frame down. and put it back with some slives and poprivets. It looks like it came that way. You might check around at boat dealers in your area and find one close to the size you need real cheap and cut it down to fit. Hope this helps.
    honey.'':o the weather is to bad to work in the yard so I think I'll go fishing''

Post Thanks / Like

I think the idea of using a conduit bender to make your frame and possibly having a local outfit sew you a tarp would also be a good solution. That way you can pick a white to get maximum benefit from the shade and can build it to fold down exactly where you want it too..
    Dave in Statham, GA

Post Thanks / Like

i think the white material is a good idea. if you measure your 1436 width at the gunnels, it should be in the 54" range. seems to me that the unit you found should fit on your gunnels.

driven2fish Guest

For my 14 ft V-Hull, I bent some conduit and used my BoatCover as a Top. A few snaps and some velcro and I was in business. It's real easy to put up and down and when I'm ready to travel I just unsnap the Cover from the conduit and cover my boat. Dual Purpose top! If your boat cover is made of thin material I don't reccomend using the snaps though. You'll end up with tears in the cover. Hint - Velcro's an amazing thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a manufacurer in Chesnee SC.
    http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/bimi...FQ42UAodH1yXpg
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hurricane 2-Bow Bimini Top

Here's the one I ordered. I have a 1436 Jon Boat also. You need to measure the distance between the gunnels. Mine measures 55in