Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hummingbird 598 or 798 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hummingbird 598 or 798 ?

I am ready to pull the trigger and upgrade to a better fish finder with side imaging. I have narrowed it down to either a Hummingbird 598 or a 798. Reading the product info, I can't see any difference. Am I missing something? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You just blew my mind, I didn't know HB made a smaller unit then the 700 series. It looks like they just limited the 700 series down to no networking and no ipilot and called it a 500 unit. That seems a bit "scary" to me. Why is there a 798 and 598 when the units are the exact same size? That is a slap in face from HB, I'd pay the 200 more and get networking.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The 598ci SI Combo does not have the 3 preset buttons, only 1 card slot, and is not Ethernet expandable..

Like Duncan said in his first statement..the 598 is a "limited down" version of the 798...

It is HB way of making SI affordable for more people interested in getting into the SI technology...

Other than the 3 items I listed above, the 598ci SI Combo and the 798ci SI Combo are exactly the same...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Probably the most important consideration for you, is will you ever want to link it with a second unit. Or does Lakemaster have the lakes you fish on a mapchip. The mapchip could enable you to add an I-Pilot link for contour trolling. If neither of the above matter to you, the 598 should fit you fine if the extra cost of a 798 is too much for your finances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62 View Post
    You just blew my mind, I didn't know HB made a smaller unit then the 700 series. It looks like they just limited the 700 series down to no networking and no ipilot and called it a 500 unit. That seems a bit "scary" to me. Why is there a 798 and 598 when the units are the exact same size? That is a slap in face from HB, I'd pay the 200 more and get networking.
    Sometimes that extra $200 puts it out folks spending limits. I think it's a great move for H/B. Opens the door for many folks to get SI and DI who just can't cough up another couple hundred. Consider buying a car or truck. Say you only want power windows, but they just sell them in a package with $1000 worth of other options. Now folks can get the SI and DI without paying for options they don't need.I've had my 798 two years now and haven't used any of the extra features the 798 has over the 598. Well, I do use the preselect buttons, but you can get around that somewhat by keeping the screens you don't use "hidden" That's what I do with my 787 unit. I'll bet they will be a great selling unit.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be interested to know why they don't offer 800 kHz on all SI units. The 500 and 700 don't have it.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62 View Post
    I'd be interested to know why they don't offer 800 kHz on all SI units. The 500 and 700 don't have it.
    Although the 598ci SI and the 798ci SI come standard with the "compact SI Xducer" instead of the larger HDSI Xducer...

I think the technical reasoning is the 598 and the 798 don't have the "processing" capability to produce the 800kHz frequency....(manufacturing cost savings passed on to the customer)...

Greg will correct me if I'm mistaken here...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

It all gets down to cost. Adding the circuitry for the 800kHz sonar and the additional cost of the HDSi transducer versus the CSi transducer would increase the cost of the product beyond the price point that they sell for. Sometimes even a $10 difference in product cost will put it out of the hands of some potential Customers.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. Cutting features out to keep the price down.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Mike, yesterday you seemed so nice. Now you're back to bashing.

But, do like the questions on this topic. I had wondered the same. Was thinking of getting one of these 598's for my kayak instead of moving the 898 back and forth.
    Team "Itch N 2 Fish"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast