Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Crappie bait casting rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a Crappie bait casting rod

I'm looking for bait casting, because no matter how many tips and tricks and find to prevent line twist, it just doesn't work. I waste to much line with a spinning rod for Crappie. I'm looking for at least 7 1/2 to 8 ft. under $50, with the black cushion handle. I'll be matching the rod with Bass Pro Crappie Maxx reel. Thank you for any help!
    Luck has nothing to do with it, it's how you wiggle your worm.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whitten1823 View Post
    I'm looking for bait casting, because no matter how many tips and tricks and find to prevent line twist, it just doesn't work. I waste to much line with a spinning rod for Crappie. I'm looking for at least 7 1/2 to 8 ft. under $50, with the black cushion handle. I'll be matching the rod with Bass Pro Crappie Maxx reel. Thank you for any help!
    I do hope you realize you will be limited in what baits & methods you will be able to utilize, Crappie fishing with a baitcasting outfit. Not that I'm saying it can't be done. I'm just concerned that a <$50 rod & Crappie Maxx reel would not allow you that many options. I doubt you'll be doing much casting with this outfit, unless you're using 1/4oz baits (or smaller ones, with added weight or a float).

Most baitcast rods at 7.5-8ft are probably going to be much too stiff to do any light bait casting ... unless you look to the Berkley Cherrywood series. Or you may want to consider a Shimano Scimitar 8'6" Med action. But, you're likely to find that baitcast rods over 6' are going to have long or extended handles, & Medium or heavier action blanks.

... cp

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for a Crappie bait casting rod

I dont cast when I crappie fish.....I use 14 ft. Rods and my reels really just store line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Your going to be really disappointed with that CrappieMax reel for casting. It is not really designed to cast crappie sized baits. It was more designed to be a quality line holder for spider rigging. There is not really a good small bait caster that will handle small baits. I would suggest you look at one of the high end push button spin cast reels if you just can't figure out a spinning reel and pair it with a light to medlight fast action. I have a couple of BPS cranking sticks that have a really good action with a soft tip.
    I also would suggest you try some 6/8 lb Fireline on your reel before you go buy a bait caster. Just my 2 cents.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Whitten! I see you are in Washington! Our daughter and her family live just up the road from you in Redmond. We were there for the first time Christmas, and it is really a cool area! WATER EVERYWHERE!

Everyone has given you great advice. I've been fishing with both spinning and casting gear forever (I'm old you see), and line twist on spinning gear is just one of those things I accept. If you are stopping the line with your finger at the end of each cast, and closing the bail by hand rather than "cranking" it closed, the line twist you are getting is just part of the deal. Cray's idea about the higher end push button reel might be your answer, but the truth is that the advantages of fishing with spinning gear for crappie outweighs the expense of buying line from time to time .. in my opinion. So good luck, and while you're mulling this over, go buy yourself a king salmon and a big ole Dungeness crab at Pike Place and think about this old fisherman in Kentucky while you're feasting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for a Crappie bait casting rod

If you get a high end baitcaster made to throw lite baits and I mean $400 plus. You can throw the very lite baits. Put braid on you spinning reels and you will get rid of the line twist.

Post Thanks / Like

I use nothing but spinning for panfish, and never have line twist. Quality reels, with quality line, matched up right, you will have no problems.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Meaning no disrespect to all the experienced crappie fisherman here but I don't understand the issues with line twist. If a quality line is wound on a respectable reel correctly line twist should not be a problem. If the nature of the lure or bait you are using and the fishing technique you are using causes your terminal tackle to spin and induce line twist then you need to take another look at your terminal tackle rigging. I've fished my whole life with mostly spinning gear and never have any problem with line twist unless I overlook something or get sloppy. I prefer to fish with light tackle even for bass and have yet to find a bait casting rig that will handle the really light stuff well. But then I only started playing with bait casting rigs in the last 6 to 8 years so I may not be the best judge of what is out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in_SC View Post
    Meaning no disrespect to all the experienced crappie fisherman here but I don't understand the issues with line twist. If a quality line is wound on a respectable reel correctly line twist should not be a problem. If the nature of the lure or bait you are using and the fishing technique you are using causes your terminal tackle to spin and induce line twist then you need to take another look at your terminal tackle rigging. I've fished my whole life with mostly spinning gear and never have any problem with line twist unless I overlook something or get sloppy. I prefer to fish with light tackle even for bass and have yet to find a bait casting rig that will handle the really light stuff well. But then I only started playing with bait casting rigs in the last 6 to 8 years so I may not be the best judge of what is out there.
    Agree with you and Locator79.

I highlighted what I think is critical. I am definitely not a "tackle snob", but spending a little more on spinning reels is well worth it, IMO. Many people use really cheap spinning reels and then wonder why they get a lot of line twist. (I'm not saying the thread starter is one of those people. It's just a general observation.)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the opinions and responses. They'll be for jig fishing. The majority of my equipment are bait casters. Yes, I can say that most of my spinning equipment is Wally World quality. It sounds like I just need to step up a couple notches.
    Luck has nothing to do with it, it's how you wiggle your worm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast