Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HB 898c HD SI or Lowrance HDS-7 Gen2 w/ Structure Scan

Post Thanks / Like

Default HB 898c HD SI or Lowrance HDS-7 Gen2 w/ Structure Scan

In the market for a new Fishfinder. I have read a ton of reviews on both. They are all as you would think. Great reviews for both. I dont know what direction to go. I am leaning toward the Lowrance. My question is can you split the screen more than in 2 sections? I think you can on the 8, 9, & 10. Also how about the HB? Can you split the screen on that one more than in 2 sect? And most of all, with the new Gen-2 by Lowrance, is that better than the HB 898c HD SI or what? All comments are welcome but please dont bash one over the other. Just want people that have or have used the said units honest opinion. Thanks
    "If you think your dealing with a buncha dumb 'ol country boys, you got another thing coming!"

Post Thanks / Like

I would go punch some buttons at the stores and then decide which one you like best. I have a HDS 8 and you can have all 4 modes showing at one time but the screens are small and more difficult to get any real info from. I believe you can on the 5 and 7 as well but not definate. Get the LARGEST screen you can afford (or not afford) as the larger screens will show more detail in DI/SI modes. Might consider the Touch version on Lowrance, very easy to change screens and make adjustments.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't let folks on the internet spend your money, or the guys in the store for that matter. Just go and test the units in the store, kick the tires. Evaluate all the units, prices, functions for yourself and make the decision. You have friends that have the units? If so go out with them and see what they can show you. And when you do purchase a unit(s) the best thing you can do is learn the functions, what they do, push the buttons, but save your files/settings off to a card every so often so if you mess it up and have to reset, you'll have a golden image. Also, buying from a sponsor like BBGMarine will save you some green.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, I agree with Mike again.

The 898 can have three views when showing DI, 2D and SI. I'm pretty sure that's the only time you can get three views up at once. But if your SI is out to say a 100 feet, it not going to show great detail. I keep mine around 85 feet most of the time, a little wider when in water greater than 20 feet and a little narrower when I really want to look at something of interest.

Rvinc posted a week or two ago about not getting into the hype of better images. We all kind of perceive better differently. I think that's a good statement. And it helps keep the peace!!
    Team "Itch N 2 Fish"

Post Thanks / Like

What you will find is the DI on the Lows are better but the side imaging in shallow water goes to the Hbird. Every snap shot I have seen from Lowrances SI gets darker the farther from the boat to where most things are discernible. If you strictly want a prettier picture go Lowrance if you want more true information go Hbird. MPO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bricks View Post
    What you will find is the DI on the Lows are better but the side imaging in shallow water goes to the Hbird. Every snap shot I have seen from Lowrances SI gets darker the farther from the boat to where most things are discernible. If you strictly want a prettier picture go Lowrance if you want more true information go Hbird. MPO.
    Even if your opinion was correct, there's 100's of differences between these units. If you are only buying a unit for picture taking, I'd say save you money and just get a DI/DS unit. There's add-ons, networking, etc. etc. to think about and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,
    I want to see down and out to the side in as good a clarity as i can. The water I fish is 35-40 ft @ the deepest point but i focus more on the 25 ft and shallower. I could care less about the networking and picture taking. I want this unit to cut down on the wasted time of fishing in an area that simply has no fish. If i can find structure and or fish holding to structure, then fish for them, im good. I know this unit wont make them bite, but at least im in the right area. just looking to cut down on time wasted in an area that is simply no good.
    "If you think your dealing with a buncha dumb 'ol country boys, you got another thing coming!"

Post Thanks / Like

Either brand will do the job for your needs then.

Post Thanks / Like

A good place to look at SI pictures is bass boat central for comparison they show both Lowrance and Hbird each with there own forum. And if you ever consider Ipilot Link then you have no other choice.

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread. I need a second finder for my boat and have been struggling with this issue as well.

I know I want a 7" screen for the console but have not been able to decide between the two yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast