Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hummingbird Matrix GPS Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hummingbird Matrix GPS Problem

I bought a Garmin Etrex Legend hand held GPS unit and the appropriate cables to hook into my Hummingbird Matrix 37 unit but I am unable to get it to work. I didn't hook the power cables into my 12 volt system, from what I been able to read, it should work on the handheld's power. I think I have done everything the instruction book says but, no GPS on my screen. Do any of you have any experiance with hooking a handheld unit into a Hummingbird Matrix unit?

Post Thanks / Like

Red
    You have to have an accessory kit # AS-HHGAR205.But I believe youll still have to power the unit up.That should give you the chart plotter on your GPS screen.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to change the output on the garmin to get it to work. Read the instruction on the matrix it tells you what to set the output to and what baud rate. I had to do this on mine but for the life of me I dont remember what the settings where. I will try to look later on. Just remember if you hook up the garmin to the computer you have to change your settings again. So it wouldnt hurt to write down what they are before you start making changes.

This has to do with the interface or NMea In/NMea Out. Look at the garmin how to change and look at the matrix it tells you want it wants for input/output.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Also if you are hoping that the garmin screen will appear on the matrix it wont. Its only the information like speed and log/lat coordinates.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

TEA73, ok, I have attempted to change the MNea settings and I believe I have them correct. The part about the "sentences" setting has me confused. The baud rate is set correctly according to the instructions at 4800. No, I don't expect the Garmin screen, all I want is the information.
    Perchjerker, I will attemt to power up the Garmin using the battery terminals but according to the instruction manual, I shouldn't have too.
    Part of the problem is that it is so hot outside, I didn't want to fool with it too much.
    I am hoping someone has been there, done that, and will save me some tinkering. When it is a little cooler, I am sure I will master it.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

went thru all that --gave up ,called the factory and it took the gal so long to explain it i boxed it up and stored it in the garage

sounder did,nt work well in shallow water anyway [fl]
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy with my Matrix 37, I wouldn't go fishing without it. But, I am doing some trolling with crankbaits these days and it would be nice to have all of my info on one screen instead of two. Plus, I would like to have my waypoints on my Matrix 37 instead of my Legend.
    It is supposed to be cooler for a couple of days, I will just have to try harder until I can get it done. Hummingbird will help me if I don't get it figured out. I know my line going into my unit is good, I have the Weathersense accessory and it works and the Legend is on a y on the same line. It is a matter of getting the 2 units on the same page. I have the Matrix instuctions, the cable instructions, and the Legend instructions.
    I am not going to hook my Legend to my computer but I may be hooking up my Matrix 37 to the computer soon.
    Ted got his to work, I can get mine to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Redtick, Its hot here as well. I will go out tonight and look becuase I still have my cable hooked up to the matrix. But I have not ran them two hooked to each other for a long time. But one thing that sticks out in my mind was that you need to have the power hooked up for the handheld. Even though it can run on the batterys. On the accessory test does it list the gps being connected?
    Ted

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Maybe that is the problem. It is simple to try. The problem is that it is way too hot after I come in from fishing in the morning to spend much time fooling with it. It may be cooler tommorrow and I will make another attempt. I know it will work.:rolleyes: