Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Male Or Female?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Male Or Female?

How does one tell the difference between a male and a female Crappie? I know that they probably covered this in High School, but I think I was skipping that day and off fishing. Seriously, how do you tell. I know I opened up a huge can of worms for what possibility of answers this could get, but remember this is family oriented, and this is a serious question that I would like an answer too, please. Thanks ahead for any responses that answers this for me.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bytizawn View Post
    How does one tell the difference between a male and a female Crappie? I know that they probably covered this in High School, but I think I was skipping that day and off fishing. Seriously, how do you tell. I know I opened up a huge can of worms for what possibility of answers this could get, but remember this is family oriented, and this is a serious question that I would like an answer too, please. Thanks ahead for any responses that answers this for me.
    Question has been discussed, before ... and the general consensus is that you really can't tell one from the other, except during the spawn period. Even then, telling a male & female Black Crappie apart can be difficult. But, for the White Crappie, the female's coloration is pretty much normal (+ her fat belly) ... while the male will have darker black blotches, that cover more area than normal (even to the extent, in some cases, of making them appear almost totally black).

And yes ... any posts that contain any off color remarks, and/or violate site policy, WILL be edited/removed. Infractions will be given out to those that step well past the line of decency.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Crappie pappy. If I could tell male from female, around spawning time, and I was catching more female than male, then I may be able to utilize that time period when the females are feeding up for the spawn, and the males are out making nests and catch bigger/female crappie. Not that I got to have a big crappie to have a good time fishing for them, but this was my reason for wanting to know. I believe I will search the archives here and then maybe google it up too. Appreciate the reply so quick. Have a good day.

Eagle 1 is online now Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

if you are catching a lot of males you are to early/ to late and back out a little and toward deeper waters .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Male Or Female?

(1)
    Check the color of the belly and fins prior to and during spawning, suggests biologist Mike Colvin during an interview with "Game & Fish" magazine. On a male crappie, these areas will change to a black color. The coloration of the female will not change.

(2)
    Look for a swollen belly prior to spawning season. Mature females can carry more than 100,000 eggs.

(3)
    Also, the males will wear down their fins from fanning the beds.
    Save A Minnow, Use A Jig

Post Thanks / Like

Females have 6 less spots than males ........................
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Alright now were are getting to the nitty gritty! I have learned some information here that I can use to be even more informed in my crappie fishing. This will help. I must now go this Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter, and fish enough, before and during and after the spawning season, and to see for myself if I can tell the differences. I bet it may even take me two years of "intense" study for I am really slow at learning! It will help me "get on 'em" faster when I do get to go! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom309 View Post
    Females have 6 less spots than males ........................
    Is that on the left side or the right side?
    Team "Itch N 2 Fish"