Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DI on trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default DI on trolling motor

So I bought a 587ci with down imaging about a month ago and I originally got it for my trolling motor but now I'm having second thoughts about putting it on the console. Both Cabela's and Bass Pro people told me DI won't work on the trolling motor but I know there are plenty of people on here with them mounted on their motors? Also where do you prefer your better fish finder to be on the console or the TM? I have a eagle fishmark 320 that was on the TM that I planned on relocating it to the console because I can't afford two nice FF right now, it always seams like I use the trolling motor FF more often then the console one. What are your opinions?

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1198 at the console so I can cruise around and find structure, and a 958 DI on the TM, I don't have any problem with the DI on the TM been running this way over a year.

Post Thanks / Like

I have my DSI on the console, so I can cruise around and find structure as well and throw out a marker bouy if need be. The cheaper sonar is up front. Works well for me.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

DI works just as good on the bow as on the transom. The people at BPS and Cabelas are smoking crack. I have my SS/DS on the console, and and Elite-7 on the Bow. DI for me, is most important when I'm on the bow, and I wouldn't be without it. If I had to pick between DS on the console or the bow, bow would win every time, since you spend 90% of your time there.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know DI worked best when the boat was moving. I thought you got a good picture just barely moving or settiing still. If this is the case, will the DI have any problems mounted on the transom. Is this true with Structure Scan als????Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DI on trolling motor

Use di on my TM works perfectly for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777

Post Thanks / Like

I have 1158 DI On Bow On Da Ducer apparatus from Rickie works great. I Used apparatus to keep from getting interference from TM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62 View Post
    DI works just as good on the bow as on the transom. The people at BPS and Cabelas are smoking crack. I have my SS/DS on the console, and and Elite-7 on the Bow. DI for me, is most important when I'm on the bow, and I wouldn't be without it. If I had to pick between DS on the console or the bow, bow would win every time, since you spend 90% of your time there.
    Kinda what I'm thinking, I spend most if my time at the bow fishing. Usually i know the general area where Im going to fish and just troll around that area. Then maybe one day get a SI or side scan for the console. Thanks!

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie1133 View Post
    I didn't know DI worked best when the boat was moving. I thought you got a good picture just barely moving or settiing still. If this is the case, will the DI have any problems mounted on the transom. Is this true with Structure Scan als????Thanks
    It's important to understand how the unit takes the acoustic sonar pulses (pings) and makes the DI screen display image....

The DI sonar beam is very thin front to back but very wide side to side...

As the Xducer "pings", a single sound pulse is sent thru the water and then reflects off objects in that sonar beam's shape...

When that single "ping" returns to the unit, the reflected data is processed and then plotted onto the screen in the very first couple of pixel rows on the right-most edge of the screen...

There can only be one (1) DI sonar "ping" in the water at a time so the unit has to wait for the return reflected "ping" before it can send out the next "ping"..

The very next "ping" that is sent and received is then processed and plotted on the right-most edge of the screen and subsequently "pushes" the previous "ping" data to the left on the screen...

It is this "pinging", reflecting, receiving, processing, plotting sequence that creates the "scrolling" effect seen on the DI screen display...

It is the forward movement of the boat that allows each successive "ping" to process a new "slice" of water in order to keep from "pinging" the same slice of water "over and over"...

DI will indeed work sitting perfectly still but the image created on the DI display will just be a lot of long "streaks" moving across the screen as the unit "pings" the same fish "over and over" or the same section of brush "over and over"...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, rickie. Very helpful and understandable. how much (or how fast) do you need to move? Thanks again!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast