Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shooting Docks

I tried this today, it was my first time and I had no luck what so ever. I was using a 55 sharp shooter rod w/4lb line. What is the ideal bait to use with this set up. I tried 1/16 tubes, grubs and shad. Any help would be great. I'm gonna try again friday

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Flat sided baits, like the Bobby Garland Baby Shad and a 1/32 head work good for me.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/16 head and a bass assassin 1.5 in shad or a tube. I usually fish 10 to 12 docks before I find then, but then -- watch out and load the boat.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."
    - Tony Blake

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, never take your eyes off the line. When they hit from below the line falls to the water, set the hook. I've had days when I saw 60% or more of the hits, never felt em.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

do you use that hi vis line?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Hi-Vis line is advisable. Especially if you're shooting in a dock where it is shady.
    “No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!”

Post Thanks / Like

I use Crappie Max Hi Vis 4 lb line. It helps me see the line jump. Most folks that shoot docks in my area use 1/24 hand tied jigs with either Chennille or plastic bodies. I usually do not shoot docks until the end of February although I have caught fish year round shooting docks. Make sure you shoot the jig as far back under the dock as possible and let it fall naturally. This time of year the fish are a little lathargic and do not want to chase it. You can use either a slow retreive or a twitch to encourage the bite.

Post Thanks / Like

hi vis line makes it much easier to see any movement in the line. When a fish takes the lure, the line may move sideways, towards you, or in any direction but there will usually be slack in the line. Do a search on utube for dockshooting, and you'll find some tips and such on this method of fishing. GL
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

1/24 oz. jig heads shoot great! CrappiePro and Bobby Garland makes them. BG dockeR , Baby Shads and CrappiePro whasshoppers! I shoot all year long. 4 lbs hi-vis for sure!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like 1/6 or 1/32 either will work Bobby Garland baby shad in Monkey Milk, Crawdad, Blue Ice, White and anything with silver white and glitter LOL I use 6LB Hi Vis
    Yellow Green Crappie Pro Bass Pro Shop line. 6LB will not break off as bad as 4LB sometimes it will be strong enough to straighten the hook and pull loose. Shoot as far under the docks and boats as you can let the jig fall before you start reeling. Then slow roll or raise your rod tip and reel as you drop the tip. If you see the line move raise your tip. Also watch the docks that have boats fishing around them mark them go back when they are gone. Good luck Cub48

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast