Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Fishing....It's been 1 yr

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Fishing....It's been 1 yr

One year ago I joined this site.

I had given up chasing bass after 25yrs as it was creating more stress than fun. I sold my 20ft champion and settled for watching boats on the lake from my deck for a while. Then just up and decided I wanted to start fishing again but not bass. I knew nothing about actually targeting crappie and that's part of the reason I chose crappie fishing as I knew very little about them, oh I had caught them on cranks hunting smallies but not much else.

So I bought a Lund, read countless information on crappie... how, what, where, and for me the most important part "why"....OCD and all. I learned a lot from some on here that helped get me started and on the right path.

So thank you for all those who helped me out with advice to get me to this point.... and to others for providing the motivation.

So this was day 1 of my second year today.....Milford 2/3/2012

Launched about 0900.....headed to a place I have been sort of looking at as it just seems liked a place they would be. The bite was slow to start because I was working the jig too fast up some bluffs. I still lack the patience to vertically jig so I got my small ultra light out and cast it out there and very slowly bumped it up the ledges.....and I was rewarded.

After that I caught a bunch of fish with very few of them being under 9". Most were 10-13" and times they would pick it up the jig and never bite it but swim along with it in their mouth almost. I would feel a little subtle tension on the line and I would pop it and they were hooked. Lost a lot of jigs.....the 1/16pz was what I was using and could cast it out there a ways. I tipped it with a nibble and sprayed shad oil on it. I think it helped.

The bite became tough around 1100 or so and I had to work for them but after that. After I had lost like my 10th jig on my UL w/4# test and the wind was starting to come up a little I headed in.

Last edited by KAG; 02-03-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report, and sharing pics. I always enjoy reading Eastern KS reports.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dave,
    Loved your hat today, what kind of fur was that? Good job on finding yet another new spot to catch the slabs! Did you get any blacks today?
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653

Post Thanks / Like

maybe one black and some that looked almost like a cross breed. Do not know if that's something that can happen but I would think so as they are the same species. I need to take a photo next time of one of them. the one spot was just one of the areas I hit up but had fun there and learned some things.

The hat is pure ugly....but pure warm. Just a cheap mad bomber with I am sure is Opossum fur that I have had for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    The hat is pure ugly....but pure warm. Just a cheap mad bomber with I am sure is Opossum fur that I have had for years.
    It looked like something exotic, maybe fox or something, I was thinking that you probably picked it up while you were living in Alaska?
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653

Post Thanks / Like

"It's been 1 yr" so much to echo KAG THOUGHTS. its been one year also (6th) since joining this site. i have so much appreciated every ones help, reports, ideas, even thier sense of HUMOR. thanks to all and keep up the good work.
    The Speed of a Rhino The Power of a Gazelle

Post Thanks / Like

Nice read and pics.Glad ya gave up green carp for crappie!
    Life is good today.

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Dave was a great day on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad u were able to get out locally, wasn't much goiing on at Pamona, mostly playing w/electronics and gear. No fish! DK

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank You!!!

I have enjoyed your posts from day 1. Although I have fished Milford at several tourneys, I still don't know it that well. It has in the past been a VERY difficult place to catch decent crappies. Looks like you have figured it out. Thanks again! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast