Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: bait caster question

Post Thanks / Like

Default bait caster question

Im looking for a new baitcaster for crappie. I was looking at the Walley Marshall signature series bait caster and a Walley Marshall 6.6 Med Lite Rod to put it on. Any coments on this setup? Or maybe ideas on a diferent set up? Id rather go 7ft. but havent found anything in a Med Lite casting rod. Im fairley new to baitcasters just figured its time to step up my game.
    Happy Hooken.....

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you going to be casting with it. Most bait casters don't lend themselves to casting really light baits. If you are talking about casting small jigs or small jig and float I think you would be better off with a nice 7ft spinning rod with Phluger president reel to match.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what i wanted to hear.... I happen to use 7ft. bnm rods with pfluger reels now. I just didnt understand the perpose of baitcasters and thought maybe they would be the next step. Ill just stick with what i got then. thanks
    Happy Hooken.....

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fished bait casters all my life and use them on my trolling poles. I have tried off and on and never found one that would perform consistantl with really light lures and line. Think your making the right choice.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What Cray said. Our stuff is just too little to get a decent BC to perform. I use 2000 series reels and rods from 6 to 12 feet. Some with braid, some with clear, most with hi vis 6lb and a pair of 5' with 1500 series reels and 4lb. Can't do it all with one rod, start now making room for 20 or so.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I thought my set ups were good enough but when its 18 degrees outside it tends to give you time to shop and look around for deferent stuff that may give you that edge come spring. I guess the baitcasters are out. Ill just have to keep serching...........Thanks for the advise
    Happy Hooken.....

Eagle 1 is online now Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

trolling , baitcaster with thumb bar. casting , open face spinning reel (i like okoma or shimano )

Post Thanks / Like

I agree stick with spinning for casting. Go fish in 18 degree weather be better than spring.

Post Thanks / Like

The Pflueger president reel is good stuff, you may want to try a 9' or 10' light action spinning rod if you float fish with a fixed float and want to fish those depths.

Post Thanks / Like

A baitcaster will cause you all types of problems with the light line and lures. I stick with a spinning setup.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway-John Wayne