Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Roberta's birthday reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roberta's birthday reel

I see where Roberta got a Mitchell Avocet UL reel for her B-day. I assume that that must be something she wanted and must be a popular reel. Is that one of the "Gold" series reels?
    WHat do you guys recommend for slow trolling rods and reels? (Not the spider rigs, but from rods at the side and rear of a boat - or should I be trolling with the rods off the front?
    Right now I have a 10 and 12 foot rod I put off to the side and if someone is with me I use smaller rods off the back.
    THanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default About the Avocet

I gave one of these new Mitchell ULs to Doug for his birthday since I dearly love my Mitchell 300X. He decided to return the favor as my WM UL reel is on its last legs. I'll save this for next spring now.

It's very smooth even at slow retrieve speeds. Lack of smoothness at slow speed was my one complaint against the WM. One feature that's pretty cool is the independant spools. You don't have to loosen your drag in order to change spools - they screw on the center piece that controls drag.

I think Don told me that a friend of his uses several of these on his trolling set up. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Happy birthday, better late than never. guess we are same age almost. i got a Fin Nor real cheap at Gander once and have decided these are so much better than any other spinning reel I don't see ever going back. Of course my hard water reels are not nearly as good

Post Thanks / Like

Question Speaking of Gander Mtn.

There's a new Gander Mountain being built in the Dayton area, due to open next spring, I think. I've heard they carry a lot more ice gear than BPS. Our nearest BPS is in Cincinnati, which almost never has fishable ice, so they only have a few items related to it. How would you rate Gander? - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Gander Mtn is about our only local choice as far as a national chain goes. I buy a lot of stuff there and have no complaints. It's not like the Cabelas in Dundee, however. I make at least one trip over there each winter.
    From what I have heard, they vary from area to area and depending on who the manager is.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gander Mountain is GGGRRRRRRRRRRRREat

Robert, we have a Gander Mountain here in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I think the place is awesome for fishing gear, especially ice fishing. I have been there at least twice a week since early November stocking up on ice fishing gear, and sometimes just browsing new items they get in daily. The staff here is very knowledgable and friendly, unlike Dick's Sporting Goods store where the fishing associate didn't even know what a Vexilar was.

I am sure each Gander Mountain varies from store to store, but I am sure if you have a decent ice fishing season where you live the store will definately cater to ice fishing. The one here has hundreds of ice rods, tip ups, augers, Vex's, thousands of jigs, and all your other luxury items like ice shelters and gas augers.

Post Thanks / Like

I may be headed to fort wayne then. You got ice yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Thanks for the feedback

We're really looking forward to the Gander Mtn. coming in. Dayton is half the distance of driving to Cincinnati to the BPS.
    Can there be too many fishing stores? I think not.
    - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Wish we had a good sporting goods store here. We have Dicks and Wal-Mart but neither one can really order stuff into the store that is in demand. The get what the corporate office sends to them and that is it. They do have a web site where you can order stuff that they don't have in stock in the store but if you ask them to carry something new they just look at you like you are from outerspace and say. "We can't do that".

I have not been to the Bass Pro Shop's stores......yet. There closest one to me is in Nashville, TN. But they are building a new store in Clarksville, IN which is only two hours away from me. You can bet your bottom britches that I will be there when that store opens. I want to see the stock and look at the fish in the aquarium.

Quote Originally Posted by crappie66
    Robert, we have a Gander Mountain here in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I think the place is awesome for fishing gear, especially ice fishing. I have been there at least twice a week since early November stocking up on ice fishing gear, and sometimes just browsing new items they get in daily. The staff here is very knowledgable and friendly, unlike Dick's Sporting Goods store where the fishing associate didn't even know what a Vexilar was.

I am sure each Gander Mountain varies from store to store, but I am sure if you have a decent ice fishing season where you live the store will definately cater to ice fishing. The one here has hundreds of ice rods, tip ups, augers, Vex's, thousands of jigs, and all your other luxury items like ice shelters and gas augers.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

No ice yet and don't think we will be getting any decent ice for at least 2 weeks. They are calling for mid 50's the next couple of days, then according to accuweather it is supposed to get cold the third week of December, supposedly not getting over freezing. That week will likely put ice on some of the shallower channels and ponds, but I wouldn't count on fishing any of the bigger lakes until xmas time or after.

One channel I fish is only 5 to 7 feet deep on average with one area going 9 to 10 feet. I should be ready after a few days of ice cold weather. It is the first place to freeze in northern Indiana. Give me 2 inches of ice, and I am there.