Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Change for 2014 Schedule-Indian Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible Change for 2014 Schedule-Indian Lake

Some of you may have noticed that Indian Lake is not on the schedule for 2013. With the new lakes added, there just wasn't room, and the sponsorships were a little thin in 2012. However, I spoke with some new potential sponsors and they'd like the circuit to return. Based on their input, we're considering adding a tournament on October 26th, 2013, two weeks after the 2013 classic. I've gone over my logs for the past few years, and this can be an absolutely dynamite time to catch some big black crappie.

We could do it a couple of ways, but one thought is to make this the first tournament of the 2014 season, then go with our regular 7 tournaments plus classic schedule after the end of 2013. This would give us 8 regular tournaments for the 2014 season, plus the classic. Something else to think about; right now, if you fish all 7 regular season tournaments, you get to drop your lowest lake point total for purposes of determining the circuit points champion. If we add the 8th lake, we're thinking about letting you drop your two lowest lake totals. In other words, you count your best 6 finishes. You'd still get bonus points for fishing all 8 tournaments, which allows folks who fish all the tournaments to have some advantage.

Any thoughts, pros and cons, to doing this?

Post Thanks / Like

if you care... i like it... all but the bonus points... a lot can keep some from fish all...

"get bonus points for fishing all 8 tournaments, which allows folks who fish all the tournaments to have some advantage"

if you can fish 8 & drop 2... that is a advantage... why would you need advantage bonus points???
    Last edited by Yates; 02-03-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

Not that it couldn't be changed for 2014 (2013 is set), but the bonus point structure has been in place for a couple years now. I wasn't there when the decision was made, but I think the intent was to encourage people to fish all 7 tournaments, rather than to stand pat at 6 tournaments. In 2013, it's 10 points extra if you fish 6 tournaments and 30 points extra if you fish 7 tournaments. Only your best 6 tournaments count for the points race. So if you fish all 7 tournaments, you get your top 6 scores plus 30 points. If you fish 6, all count and you get 10 extra points. Let's say you're sitting pretty in the top 2 with a 5 point differential; if you stand pat at 6 tournaments, you could find yourself blown out because the other teams fish the 7th tournament and get the bonus---you have to fish the 7th to stay in it. Now if you only fish 5, it doesn't matter one way or the other, because the other teams who fish 6 or 7 will be far ahead just with tournament points, regardless of bonus points.

The only downside I can see is for a team that only missed one or two tournaments. They might debate fishing the last one, because they can't get the bonus points and can't contend.

I looked at the standings for last year, and the bonus points only shifted the standings for one team in the top 10. But I'm also not sure how effective it was in getting folks to fish all the tournaments, because not that many did.

Post Thanks / Like

if you know at the start you cant fish all 8 then it a disadvantage and a reason not to fish more then 1 or 2 home lakes
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

You may be right. Something for the rules committee to think about for 2014.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fished-out View Post
    Not that it couldn't be changed for 2014 (2013 is set
    Sorry the way your post... Possible Change for 2014 Schedule reads...
    i though you was just kicking this idea a round...
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

The Indian tournament will likely happen, but we have a choice about whether to treat it as an "open", stand alone tournament, or have it be the first tournament of 2014 that would count toward the point totals. We'd still have 7 more regular tournaments in the calendar year 2014, plus the classic.

Post Thanks / Like

What are the rules keeping some crappie for table fare in a cooler while fishing in tournament?
    Last edited by StumpHog; 02-05-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem and people do it all the time. However, you can't bring any more than 8 fish (and they all have to be of legal length with a minimum of 9" allowed) to the weigh-in line.

Also, after you've weighed, the fish do not have to be released. Just take 'em back to the cooler/livewell and enjoy later!

One other thing, alot of the guys give away their fish at the end of the tournament and someone always winds up with a bunch of fish to take home.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fished-out, never fished a tournament before and was just wondering. Hopefully my vacation request gets approved so I can enter some. Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast