Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shallow drops

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shallow drops

How do you follow shallow drops and ditches on flats with your Depth Finder? Sometimes it is hard enough for me to follow
    well defined creek channels. I fish some small lakes with ditches that may only vary by a few inches. (lets say 10")

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Multiple marker bouy's. I have had them as close as 50' apart, and as far as 100 yds, depends on the contour changes(left to right) and how tight they are to it. Long somewhat straight ones need less detail where shorter more curvy ones need more bouy's closer together to get it done. Sounds tough but it's really very simple. After he first time you'll be an old hand with it. I keep 4 or 5 in the boat.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Another way with 2d sonar is to tilt td on tm to front a little andwhen you see sonarchanging depth then you can turn tm right or left and see which way right or left made it go up or down,then you know where the creek side and the old bank side is. In a shallow narrow creek the top depth may not change but if you watch df ,the bottom will change giving you a clue that you are going back into the channel or if it is coming up that you are coming back out of channel
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Another way with 2d sonar is to tilt td on tm to front a little andwhen you see sonarchanging depth then you can turn tm right or left and see which way right or left made it go up or down,then you know where the creek side and the old bank side is. In a shallow narrow creek the top depth may not change but if you watch df ,the bottom will change giving you a clue that you are going back into the channel or if it is coming up that you are coming back out of channel
    Are you saying the numbers at the top won't change EX 4.6ft but the line on the bottom of the screen will change?

Post Thanks / Like

With a 2d sonar,when you go over a narrow creek that the beam is wide enough to hit both sides of a creek bank then the unit is going to show the nearest bottom to xducer,it will give the reading of the closes-strongest singal, that is why when you go over thick brush or thick shad the bottom is still where it was but the unit is going to read the top of shad or brush. Also you can go over a drop off and most strong singal at bottom of drop and little singal at top of drop off then it will give you the bottom of drop off depth reading and you will still be seeing a pic of the top. Learning things like this will help you better interpret your sonar. Many times while i am fishing brush that show up high and look like the bottom which have a stronger singal giving right bottom but sonar pic make it look like the brush look like bottom and on a b/w unit that bottom reading is about the only way to let you know that something is off bottom,however with color you can tell easier. Hope i have not confuse you
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8