Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trilene XL vs Silver Thread AN40

CouchTater Guest

Question Trilene XL vs Silver Thread AN40

Not entirely sure this new board is for fishing nuts and bolts, but I'll throw this Q on the e-waters and see if there are any nibbles.

For an ultralight spinning setup, I want one spool set up for stealth and one for deep/cloudy water. For my stealth spool, two lines which seem to make sense are Trilene XL and Silver Thread AN40. I intend on trying 6 lb to start with. I'm looking for a clear or subdued green line, good casting properties off a spinning reel, good knot strength, etc.

Surprisingly the price for the Silver Thread is close enough to nylon monos, so I don't guess cost is really a factor. Folks seem to either love or hate the Trilene family of lines, and I've only found a few mentions of Silver Thread and then only for Excaliber, not AN40.

What are your experiences with these two lines?
    Last edited by CouchTater; 04-15-2004 at 01:04 PM. Reason: geez I can't type worth beans

FISH4DUG Guest

I Use Trilene Only, Had Some Bad Luck With Stren. Hope This Helps. Fish4dug

Post Thanks / Like

I use Trilene and Stren, I believe Trilene works best for me, seems to work better on spinning reels.
    Biguns Pro Guide Service 662-424-2551, B'n'M Pro Staff, Engel Coolers Pro Staff, Ego Nets Pro Staff, Cumberland Crappie Pro Staff, Wise Boat Seats Pro Staff, Southern Pro Pro Staff, Pap's Hair Jigs Pro Staff, The Edge Multifunction Trolling Motor Bracket Pro Staff, Enjoy What God has given us and remember take a kid Fishing !

slab_seeker Guest

Triline XL is a good choice, been using it on spinning and spincast reels for 20 years. Also their green line is the best. I'm trying a spool of Cajun Red now on a couple of my trigger spins, fish don't seem to mind the color. Been fishing it beside the green line and it does'nt make a differance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stren Hi-vis gold

Quote Originally Posted by CouchTater
    Not entirely sure this new board is for fishing nuts and bolts, but I'll throw this Q on the e-waters and see if there are any nibbles.

For an ultralight spinning setup, I want one spool set up for stealth and one for deep/cloudy water. For my stealth spool, two lines which seem to make sense are Trilene XL and Silver Thread AN40. I intend on trying 6 lb to start with. I'm looking for a clear or subdued green line, good casting properties off a spinning reel, good knot strength, etc.

Surprisingly the price for the Silver Thread is close enough to nylon monos, so I don't guess cost is really a factor. Folks seem to either love or hate the Trilene family of lines, and I've only found a few mentions of Silver Thread and then only for Excaliber, not AN40.

What are your experiences with these two lines?
    I have recently switched to the gold line and like the high visibility very much
    especialy when sun is shining.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Trilene Sensation 4#
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Wardy Guest

I found several spools of the Silver Thread on sale for $4.00 a spool. I am gonna try it . I also have a spool of the Trilene sensi thin....so here we go.

Post Thanks / Like

I use silverthread on all 8 of my spider poles for main lines and have had very good luck with it most likely will stay with it

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% with Joe. I use alot of high vis gold stren line. That stuff could tow a barge. I have landed carp and buffalo from 5 to 60 pounds on 4lb line, although they were not hooked in the mouth, accidentally snagged in turbulent water. It still shows the strength of the line. It is very visible and that is something needed while fishing for crappie, although some could argue that it is too colorful in clear water. I bought a spool of 4lb trilene and tried bream fishing with it. I had never had trouble bream fishing with the stren, just thought I'd try trilene. The bream were breaking the trilene every time I hooked one. I thought that maybe i had a bad spool so I bought another spool from a different store, and it broke just the same. If you want a good strong clear mono line, i recommend Stren extrastrength. People think I have 20 pound line on when I hang it up and try to break it, it's some tough stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a trilene fan, used XL until the sensation came out. Don't think I'll be switching anytime soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast