Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing in Grass?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing in Grass?

Ok on one of the lakes I fish the grass has come back in it. I have NEVER fished for crappie in the stuff. It is around all the docks and it is thick. I love it for fishing but need some advice from someone that has crappie fished in the stuff. Do you fish the pockets, edges, or holes in the mats? Also what is the best type of bait/presentation in your opinion? I know in the spring there are some big crappie pulled off wood and dock down there. So lets hear the suggestions for this case.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

f3, I don't know if this is what you are looking for but, on a lake in the spring time that as this ground ivy looking stuff with a grass mix in it. The ivy has a broad leaf that is about the size of a half dollar. This cover is pretty dense. I do fish it very slow with some success. I found that most fish I catch are in the small holes in it. It is challenging at times to get them out of it. When the fish is hard to get it out, I usually go down 20 feet or so and fish a bit then come back to it. I have never tried fishing this stuff from my boat. I like to wade on this lake.

Post Thanks / Like

3 i fish one back slew on the warroir its like fishingpox was saying i fish it slow in the pockets there hard to get out i just have to pick and choose little holes in the grass but do quite well have caught some nice slabs out of them i use minnows

Post Thanks / Like

I will try to fish some of the hole in the mats like you guys are saying. I might try jig and minnows to see which works better. Thanks for the suggestions.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishin 3 Slow Trollin Roadrunners Along The Deep Side Of Grass Works Good In Fl.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Fish like you would bass. Medium action rod, heavier line (10lb) and a weedless rigged jig. Just jerk it across the top of the grass and let it settle into the pockets.

Post Thanks / Like

In the fall I would troll the deep edge and in the spring I would troll a 1/32oz. jig. That is trolling with the troll motor slow.

Right now in the summer i stay over deeper water fishing creeks and brush piles.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!