Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under Pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Under Pressure.

Seems like there are gauges and gadgets and graphs and downloads, for depths, temps, bottom structure, speed, etc., etc.. The crappie fisherman has many great advances nowadays for just about everything that effects and affects CRAPPIE, and therefore CRAPPIE fishing.
    What I'd like to know is; What are the crappie doing while the barometer is either rising,and under the influence of a high pressure, or dropping under the influence of a low pressure? One carries as much as they can afford and/or want/need, while out there fishing in a boat, of graphs, gauges, and bells and whistles of all those goodies, but when you go to buy a good barometer for your boat, and for fishing,,... well there is little to choose from.(?)
    How important is it to know the pressure while fishing, or planing to fish? If it is that important, should One,,... have one? Please don't misunderstand me here, I don't have a barometer on my boat either, but for conversation's sake,,... shouldn't I? Shouldn't you? Shouldn't we?
    and,,...
    do the crappie lower or raise in fow pertaining to a certain; +/- barometric pressure they are under at the time? I know it affects the bite, but does it really play a big part on the depth the crappie are at, while they are,,...under pressure? Does pressure affect the Crappie more in the Winter than pre/during/ or post,,... spawn?
    and,,...
    where can one get a good, reliable, barometer for a boat,,... if there is such a thing? Thanks ahead for any posts and/or help and/or .

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to wait for the right pressure to go fishing, you will be missing a lot of good fishing time. Don't over think it, just go fishing and enjoy your time on the water. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I will take that advice, thank you, have a good day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cache22 View Post
    Here is an article about green carp behavior and responses to pressure changes. Says you may as well throw out the barometer and go fishing....... Just have your rain gear if it's falling fast. Then again, crappie are probably smarter than carpie.

BAROMETRIC PRESSURE AND BASS - In-Fisherman
    Lots of things probably more important than barometer to take fishing. Knowlege, experience, and a good depth finder, for instance.
    I DO MY BEST PROOFREADING RIGHT AFTER I HIT THE "SUBMIT" BUTON

Post Thanks / Like

hard fronts are one thing but when the barometer is moving even slightly they seem to bite. Just coming from my experience ice fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eager beaver View Post
    if you are going to wait for the right pressure to go fishing, you will be missing a lot of good fishing time. Don't over think it, just go fishing and enjoy your time on the water. Eb
    x2

I only fish on days of the week that end with
    a "Y" ...and then, only if it's raining or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I am not able to fish when I want to due to physical issues. I try and plan my trips so I can make use of all my time that my aches and pains will allow me to have. I try and take all my experience/s and knowledge and other fisherman's too and plan to go on the days that I might catch a mess of crappie. That is why the question and also why the wonder with fish under different pressures i.e. low and high, and how well do they bite. I see that for the bite, Winter/pressure seems to be allot more of an issue of whether they bite and where they are in fow. I sure do "just go" for the going, sometimes, but any thing I can do to help me catch more fish I want to try to take advantage of limited time, and maybe it can result in more hits and therefor more fillets too. Will a High pressure, raising, make the fish go deeper in Winter? I am sure everyone that has fished much, have seen fish go crazy just before a front hits, but with no storm in sight how does pressure come into the picture in deep water in the Winter? Again, thanks for any posts that can help figure this out. Maybe we're done discussing this? I know that I need to fish enough to find out for my self, but can't in the cold. Just can't.

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure is definitly an issue when fishing but a good look ahead at the weather will let u determan rise and fall. I always look at the weather and preasure before going fishing but i never let whatever its doing stop me from going. Mostly i just use it to determan if its gunna be a slow day or not. I think that any dramatic rise or fall in presure changes the feeding habbits of fish and any steady preasure whatever it is they feed regurly. I dont think there is a magic number to where they just go nuts so there prob isnt a need for a barrometer in the boat. Im no expert though........Happy Hooken..............
    Happy Hooken.....

Post Thanks / Like

There is an article on the Arkansas Board about Pressure that makes good reading from a guide that really watches the pressure and its effect, seems mostly shallower 15' and less has the most affect.... you might go on there and read it, good reading....... I watch it, but never turn down a trip to go and could care less about the pressure, If it is a day I can't catch much so be it, at least I get to get out......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it and I'll go read what is said in the Arkansas forum about it. Yeah, I go also no matter the pressure. Sometimes it is the days that I might catch the least, that I remember the most so I don't let the pressure determine if I go or not. It all just amazes me about Mother Nature and how "it" all works. This forum is amazing also in how helpful everyone is especially when it comes to crappie fishing! It is in how one can help another to have a great time fishing, as well better chances at catching several crappie, when all the advice is put into play when the bite is on. Thanks again! I'm headin' to the Arkansas threads. Hope your day goes well guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast