Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missouri transplant

Post Thanks / Like

Default Missouri transplant

My wife and I relocated to Columbia, MO in April of 2012 from Northern Illinois. I did a bunch of fishing up there including ice fishing. When I came down I brought my little StarCraft with me and the wife and I fished some of the smaller lakes in the Columbia area. We did pretty good mostly with the LMB, but the crappie didn't have much size. In September my brother-in-law and I got a guide and went out on LOZ and had great time. We both got our limit on some great crappie. Now that I have been introduced to the wonderful fishing down here I needed (wanted) a better boat, so I upgraded the starcraft and I think the wife and I are ready to venture out on some of the bigger lakes. The only question I really have is what color of tubes should I get for starters? I know there are all kinds of tubes out there, but if you were buying tubes, what are the must have colors? BTW: We have an '06 16.5 ft Lund in the garage now . I have a few years to retirement, but I didn't want to buy another one. So if anyone wants a ride and willing to show me around on any of the lakes, drop me a note. One more question, Lowrance or Humminbird?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard. this is a great site. As of right now IMO white body chart. tail is working great. Wednesday used a pink head white body chart, tail and worked great.

Post Thanks / Like

On Truman Black/green and about anything chartruse works good but it mainly depends on the water color on what I use.
    I have both Humminbird and Lowrance and like them both but getting ready to buy a Down Imaging and having a hard time chosing which brand.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really a tube user... But i like Slab buster Jigs... There in several of the stores around the LOZ area... Blue/White, Blue/Sliver, Purple/White, Red/chart or sliver. and i also did really good last time out on Orange head Black/Sliver.. Another is Bobby Garlands Blue ice, Purple mist, Cajun cricket. I use all of these often on a 1/16 jig either # 4 or # 2 hook... They'll be others along to tell you other colors to try. My go to jig is Purple and white but Blue//???? will work too

Post Thanks / Like

My go to is silver/chartruse with an orange jig head. I have both humminbird and lowrance and favor the lowrance. One of lake of the ozark favorite colors is blue ice.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of opinions on best colors and best electronics my best jig for dirty water is Black/Pink or Red Glitter/Chartruse. In cleaner water I like Silver Glitter/Chartruse and White/Chartruse. I like Lowrance but that's all I have ever had on my boats. Lots of guys love the Hummingbirds to. If you want to meet a bunch of the gang and meet some great fisherman with lots of knowledge try to make the Spring camp at Truman. Info on the off topic page about it or you can PM me for more info. Welcome to the state and the site. Lots of great people on here and most all of them are willing to help out.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't go wrong with any combos with chart as most have stated! IMO I think hummingbirds are more user friendly than a lowrance but that's just me! Can't go wrong with either one! Keep it simple and enjoy your stay in MO! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for a the quick and great reply's. I will be making notes on all the suggestions. As far as the electronics I am still looking. I have had Lowrance in the past, but I may make a break from them. I am looking at DI products from both companies. It appears that HB may be a bit better for after the purchase, but still looking at that angle. We are enjoying MO a lot. A big difference in the pace of life compared to where we came from.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to MO. Do yourself a favor and go to your BPS or come down to KC and hit BPS and Cabela's and see the units for yourself. I've owned both brands through the years, and they'll show you close to the same thing. There's features and add-ons that are different, so it's a good idea to really look them over. To know what's better for you, we'd have to know what your needs are. Enjoy the site, and the state!

Post Thanks / Like

Hocky
    This web site is a great place to meet other crappie fisherman... If you can there's some tornements fished on Truman and LOZ about once a mouth.. Its a great way to meet some of the others and you get to see some of the stuff they used in electronics... I've been out fishing with some of the others and i for one want to get a Side imaging fish finder to find under water stucture... I seen these in action.. Whats neat is you boating along passing all these boat docks and bamm theres a tree, brush or a plie of somthing under that one dock....don't see that with a down image..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast