Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Todays fishing trip,

Post Thanks / Like

Default Todays fishing trip,

Well I got to Pickwick lake at 6 am. Cold 24 degrees. Bet the jig did not settle when I had a strike. First fish on new rod and reel and rod holders.
    4 lb drum. Then the other rod started bending over it was a 10" crappie.( Thought of fish for supper if I can get some more to go with him) put him on the stringer. 2 hours later a skipjack, Then a largemouth bass. And last 4 bream.
    So supper is on hold. This was my first late fall crappie trip, But not the last one. But will put the rod holders on the 20 ft boat. Can't move in the 1754 without moving the rods and also the hand control trolling motor sucks on that boat. But love the Minn-kota 65 lb power drive auto pilot on the big boat.
    Fished a lot of places and found some fish showing on the fish-finder near some stumps on the creek channel in 22 ft of water. And the fish were in 14 ft. But could not get a bite.
    So I will read and try to learn more. I will not give up.

Pete

crappie cowboy(old) Guest

Default Pete' trip

Heeeeeey Pete, Sounds to me that you did better than me my first time
    with the spider rig. Heck I stayed hung up and breaking off line all day and
    I was ready to give it up.
    Shoot Pete it was cold up there this morning.I think you got a
    great outlook about it.I can't wait til I'm at Pickwick.
    Be sure you put your poles at different dept's til you findout
    where thier at also, if you are using jig's try different colors to see what they want.Are you using double drop hooks?

Gary

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You go Shilo!!!

When you report that your line guides filled up with ice when you were out, then I know you are doing some serious winter fishing.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pete:

Beats sitting at home wondering if they are going to bite! We had a slow morning here too. Thought we were going to load the boat when we pulled up to the first brushpile and caught a couple keepers pretty quick but it was one here and one there the rest of the morning.

Had a 4-pound, 6-ounce Hybrid White Bass pop a jig tipped with a minnow on a 12-foot Sam Heaton with 6-pound line and take off for deep water.

We followed her around with the trolling motor for about 10-minutes before she gave up and let us get a net under her. Had a pretty good Green Carp join us too but only kept 10 crappie - most were 12 to 13-inches.

Just had one client and he caught them all (I gave him my pole when I hung the Hybrid) so he had a pretty good time. He caught several bream and smaller black bass too that we released.

Another cold front is supposed to come through Sunday so Saturday may be the day. Won't know if we aint out there though!!!

Slow days make you appreciate the good ones!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    When you report that your line guides filled up with ice when you were out, then I know you are doing some serious winter fishing.
    Hey Cane Pole:

We had a pretty good sheet of ice on the floor of the boat where I spilled some water - is that cold enough? There was a heavy layer of fog over the lake this morning so the air temps were a bit warmer there than at the house so we didn't have any ice on our line guides this time but I have plenty of times in the past.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Well today was it then. Had ice in the floor of the boat. And also had ice on the rod tips for a little while until the sun came out. But this is not cold. I fish for sauger when its about 15 degrees and snowing and wind is blowing .

crappie cowboy hurry up and get moved up here. And you can show me how to catch them.
    Also my new rods are the 10 ft Sam Heaston and I like them a lot.
    Pete
    Last edited by ShilohRed; 12-02-2004 at 09:36 PM. Reason: forgot to add this.