Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice Needed....

The wife and I have been arguing over money. Wouldnt it just be easier to have separate checking accounts, and pay the bills separate. She seems offended by it. Interested to hear if this worked for anyone else.
    Last edited by undertheradar; 01-30-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    NWR BASH WINNER
    FEBRUARY 2011
    SPECKLE DIVISION

Post Thanks / Like

yes, that is what we did and now my bills get paid on time,and i give her money on half of the morgage and ulilites to pay and she pays her own bills,,it seemed it was ahole lot of preasure for one to do it all

Post Thanks / Like

Lol my wife and I are the opposite. She at times talks about getting separate checking accounts but I pay the bills and my check book is always perfectly balanced and when she was running her own check book before we got married she did some kind of rounding off method so I told her no.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

You need to be aware of the possibility that she may think you are wanting to hide money for what ever reason.

What I used to do with the Ex was both put everything into one account, paid the bills and then each transferred the difference from our input to 1/2 the bills and total put in to our own savings accounts leaving $100 ($50 each)i n for clerical errors. Gas for my car,lunches, ect that were my personal expenses came out of my savings and same for her.

My only concern was that the bills be paid first before anything else. Neither of us ever had any problems with that. There was only one check book for bills, and We paid them all online.

Everyone knew what money was there at the get go. The bills were paid and both were in on all steps.

We never fought about money.

Cheers
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is going to be tough to change horses in the middle of the stream. Almost like you can't go backwards. It probably would be a good idea, especially if you started out that way. People resist change like crazy.

We always fight about (no) money. It comes from only one paycheck (mine) and goes into a joint checking account. I have to try to pay bills real quick, before she spends it on less-immediate needs. I have threatened to cut her off and get my own account, but only when I was mad.

I gave up a while ago, though. I threw in the towel, I assumed the Stones worst nightmare... now I am just a Beast of Burden. I guess I always was. It doesn't matter, though. I really am happy with just a little fishing money. If I didn't have her, I would probably just live in a shack on the beach, and I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money, even if I could.

Post Thanks / Like

What you need is a budget.
    YOU both need to know what it cost to live each month and then what to do with what is left over.
    What is your financial plan?
    What are your goals?
    What is your plan if one of you gets laid off?
    Put the power bill on yearly average and let it adjust every year. Do this to whatever you can.
    MOST important!
    Use the Cabela's club card to pay every thing, then pay them off every month.
    They YOU use the points for all your toys.
    But Honey It WAS ON SALE!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on the budget. If You both know where the money is going to have to go, then there will be no need for separate accounts. Also if You have not done so, save enough money for 3 months of Your incomes in case of emergencies. Also make a list of short term wants and long term wants. Yours and hers. Take turns on acquiring the list. Work as a team cause that is what You are.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

A lot depends on personalities and your relationship. My wife and i started with separate checking accounts 10 years later we still have separate checking accounts. Like anything it has it's advantages and disadvantages. But it works for us.
    She makes about same amount as me so it works out okay. We used to split everything to keep it simple. Now a days she pays for childcare and I pay most of the bills. We help each other out when needed. And she gets to spend her extra money and girl things and I get to buy dude things. We NEVER argue about money which is really nice.
    We have several joint savings accounts that we both contribute to on a regular basis. We use those for large purchases like home repairs, vehicle repairs, vacations, etc.
    A budget is a must. We are fortunate that our debt is fairly low and we don't live paycheck to paycheck. We both see the value of saving for our retirement and have put a lot of focus on that. When we first got married we saw a financial counselor for advice. He pretty much gave us a list of things that we needed to do to protect ourselves financially and we've stuck to that plan and it worked out well. He didn't even try to sell us anything or charge us for the consultation. He said he was so thrilled to see young people interested in financial security.
    Good luck.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

I look at it as a partner ship. My wife does the check book and I trust her.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I have 1 account. The bills get paid, she buys and I buy what we want within reason. If it's smothing big we'll discuss it first, before we buy. ( she doesn't work ) Her not working has nothing to do with 1 account, we could easly put money in 2 accounts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast